May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 694 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,604
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have mentioned this before,at Whittington/Raton lastyear, I shot well with a rather well used Lefever "H". During the adult beverage period, we were talking guns, what else. Mr. Joe Wood hauled out his guages and started measuring chokes, mine were cyl/ic...Coulda fooled me. But then again Unless someone else has checked them, I dont know and mostly dont care what my guns are choked. Just shoot em......That "H" sure knocks down the roosters.......1 oz #5's

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't want to put too fine a point on it: Wilhelm's PMs put me onto Cylinder several years ago. I took this long to get up the nerve to do it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

While totally in agreement that a cylinder boring can indeed be most useful the thing which I think most astonishes me about this entire thread is that not a single person has pointed out that;
Cylinder is "Not a Choke" but "Lack of Choke". By definition Choke in a shotgun bbl means constriction, Cyl has none. Well anything not exceeding .003" is I believe still considered cylinder, but not considered "Choke". A barrel is thus Not "Cylinder-Choked", but is Un-Choked or Not Choked whichever way you prefer to say it.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

You use far fewer shells shooting cylinder.
The centered bird is seldom pulped.
What's not to like?

Out there doing it best I can.
Boxlock
Boxlock

I had my grouse gun opened to cylinder/improved cylinder. Rarely shot the left barrel in the grouse woods. I had choke tubes added so I could use the gun for pheasants as well. Big mistake! Turns out, the bore is .625 and the most open cylinder choke I can find is .620. Anyhow, I miss my cylinder choke (or absence of choke) in the right barrel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My designated grouse gun is .000" and .005" and I have no complaints. 16 gauge of course. :-)

Sidelock
Sidelock

It bears reminding for sure, Miller. When I decided to remove F/F choke to make cylinder/improved cylinder my problem was convincing gunsmith of the old Sauer's "no-choke" Bore Diameter. Your reminder is also useful because words have meaning, and nonsense tends to become "normalized" pretty fast. Season's greetings! My never-fail 35-year-old Model 666 JD snowblower is getting a real workout this year.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've got an old Parker BH with sawed off 28 inch barrels that have left it cyl. and IC. I've killed everything from snipe to geese with that gun over the years and the birds never knew the difference. Not the gun I pick up for ducks and geese mind you, but when traveling far and being limited on gun choices, it does the work.

DLH

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

My favorite preserve gun is a 26" G grade parker choked Cyl/Full with 1 oz. #5's. I don't have to wait and screw up my timing when a bird gets up right under my feet and if I miss that shot, I have time to say something off color before taking the second shot. Bill Frech

LCSMITH
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper

Cylinder is "Not a Choke" but "Lack of Choke". By definition Choke in a shotgun bbl means constriction, Cyl has none. Well anything not exceeding .003" is I believe still considered cylinder, but not considered "Choke". A barrel is thus Not "Cylinder-Choked", but is Un-Choked or Not Choked whichever way you prefer to say it.

Now, to those of us fond of tight choked old hammer doubles, the thought that one of barrels is "Un-Choked" can be intensely bothersom, no matter how well that barrel kills.

However, I must admit that I like being able to take close-flushing birds quickly with chokeless barrel. Like another poster, I also use appropriately time between missing close shot with a chokeless barrel and waiting out bird for second shot with tight choked barrel -- this is an advantage of cylinder-full choke combos that is perhaps not widely advertized.

Niklas

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.