April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Gunning Bird, Fudd, Jtplumb, Marks_21, 2 invisible), 482 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,159
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
12brd Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What is required from the BATF to ship a shotgun as an individual to an FFL dealer? Do you have to have a copy of their FFL or the number or anything?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Check the BATF website and get the definitive answer in writing. If you ever need to defend yourself it will serve you better than anything written here or told to you by a BATF agent.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Long guns can be shipped via USPS to an FFL. You will need a copy of the FFL (Keep one for your records and put other in container). Go to BATFE web page to verify. The PO will not ask what is in the box, but it is perfectly legal. Modern handguns cannot be shipped through the US Mail except by FFLs with documentation on file at the PO.

Last edited by Rudybollo; 01/20/09 12:41 PM.

I don't think the federal law requires you to have a copy of the FFL, Just be sure you ship to a licensed dealer. Neither do the feds require an individual to keep records.. MDC

Sidelock
Sidelock

The post office will ask you what is in package where I am from.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have never been asked at the PO.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The PO clerk runs a quick verbal liner past the customer asking 'if the parcel contains anything liquid, fragile, hazardous,,etc' something of that wording. That covers their Pub52 and within that reg. is 'firearms'. Firearms are USPO listed as a 'restricted' item.

While not specificly asking each individual package contents, that statement/question asked by the clerk brackets all the items that the USPO requires to be declared by the shipper in one short quick question.

Common carriers (UPS/FedEx/etc) are specificly required to be notified of a firearm in contents when the package is placed into their system for shipment according to BATF regs I read, but I don't see such specific wording for USPO shipments.

Neither can force you to lable the outside of the package as containing a firearm. No need for 'dissassembly' or 'the firing pin must be removed'..just a couple of the common responses I've gotten over the years from unknowledgable clerks.

It's rare in my experience to find a USPO/UPS/FedEX/etc clerk that knows the shipping rules anyway, either their own employer's or the BATF & State regs.
So expect anything from a roll of the eyes in disgust of the contents to an outright refusal to ship your package.

It is quite legal w/some restrictions as noted especially when it comes to handguns. A copy of their own rules in hand and a copy of the destinations FFL will help smooth things out.

It can be an adventure to say the least. It gets better over time as you educate them with each trip to the counter.

12brd Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My question mainly pertains to the fact or not if I have to have the shops FFL copy to send to them. Package will go FED EX gound anyway. I've been told by the buyer of the shotgun that the shop that will receive it does not give out copies of its FFL. Seems odd, but if its ok to send without and thats where he want it to go to. Well then. JW

Sidelock
Sidelock

You've received pretty good answers above but I don't think FedEX
will accept Ground shipping from a private individual(on firearms) I believe they insist on a more costly Next Day Air, or something similar. If you have a friend with a business account with FedEx, that might get it done that way.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fed Ex will ground ship long guns but wants next day for hand guns.Although its not required,it only required that they have a FFL,I would not ship the gun unless I had a copy of the FFL,they can mark across it "FOR RECORDS ONLY".

Hillary For Prison 2018
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.