April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, Jimmy W, Ian Forrester, skeettx, 2 invisible), 865 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,838
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I know that basic questions sometimes get ignored here by the cognoscenti but am hoping someone will take pity on a guy not steeped in all-things-doubles and answer a simple question.

Since it's OK to shoot 2.75-inch shells in a gun with 3-inch chambers, I'm thinking it must be OK to shoot 2.5-inch (vintager-type) shells in a gun with 2.75-inch chambers. Yes? No? Or ... ?

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Certainly!

John

We're only responsible for the effort, not the outcome.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Absolutely, and Eley Impax 2 1/4" and Eley 2" shells too. Some old wives tales about tumbling wads causing problems with 2" shells in longer chambers, but I have shot thousands of 2" shells in 2 1/2 guns in England, 30 years ago, with no problems.
I used those because of recoil reduction.
Believe it or not. 2" factory Eley shells will cycle in my Remington 11-87 12 ga Sporting Clays version and with the plug out I probably could get lots in! I read that the Mexican Aguila ammunition cxompany made 2" shells so you could get lots of them in a riot gun with full lenght magazine!
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have played around with the 1 1/2 Inch Augilas - they only feed reliably for me in a Winchester 1300.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Upinmichigan,

I'm certainly not one of the "cognoscenti" on this board, but.....
Last year, just before the spike in ammuntion prices I scored on a couple flats of Gamebore Pure Gold 12 ga. 2.5". My plans were to shoot them in a 6# Webley with 2.5 chambers. Alas, they are just too hot for a light gun. I started shooting them in my 3" SKB this fall. They are quite pleasant in an 8# gun and abosolutely deadly on pheasants and praire grouse! I've read that shorter than chamber length ammuntion can pattern poorly, but it hasn't been my experience.

Steve

"Every one must believe in something, I believe I'll go hunting today."
Sidelock
Sidelock

Upinmichigan, I don't know if I' ibne if the cognoscenti, but I'm going to ingore you anyway.

OK, now that we are done with that, most of the tales of poor performance stem from fiber and card wad days. Plastic wads obtrude nicely to seal the chamber and, then, behave themselves as they pass through the forcing cone into the bore. The practice of shooting chamber length gauge reducers tells the tale for the adaptability of plastic wads.

Sidelock
Sidelock

R'Man has nailed it I think. In the days of Card & Felt/Fiber wads with a short shell the wad column often did not bridge the gap between shell mouth & cone allowing gas to blow by the wads, which could on occasion give a reduction of pattern. Another phenomenon ones see in old writings was "Balled Shot" in which this gas blow-by fused a number of shot together. All of this has been virtually eliminated by the plastic obturating wad cup.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm shooting 2 1/2" roll crimped, felt and card wadded BP cartridges in original 3" damascus chambers; the dead rabbits seem not to notice poor patterns...
RG

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Many thanks to those who replied. By the way, "cognescenti" is just my way of tipping my hat to the fact that there's folks here who forget more in their sleep at night about doubles than I know. It's the only Italian I know and I'm pretty sure it's not a cuss word but promise to speak only English from here on!--Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

At least you recognized the Italians-great gunmakers and without C. Columbus, well- 1492 would have been just another year. One advantage of a Catholic education back in the "Fish On Fridays '50's" was Latin- Spanish and Italian are both based somewhat on Latin- Cognoscere: means to "know something in a or specialized field" and Boy Howdy, we have experts "Up Da Wazoo" on this website.
I just acquired an older 12 gauge Grade 2E L.C. Smith- 32" bored imp. mod. and full, and have pattern tested it extensively, as well as killing beaucoup barn pigeons, blackbirds and crows. It is NOT a longrange model, but has factory original 2 and 7/8" chambers, or 1/8" longer than the std. 2 and 3/4"- I have half a flat of Eley 2 and 1/2" 1 oz. loads (a gift) and I shoot them, along with my AA 1 and 1/8 oz. reloads in this Smith-they both pattern the same, with different wads, shot size and factory vs. reloads for comparison. An "old timer" who used a Smith for live pigeons back "In the day" once told me that "Smiths have million dollar barrels". Maybe!
I almost forgot, make that comment about the many experts herein "Uppa Da Giggi" and not "Up The Wazoo" in honor of the many Italian-Americans and Sicilians I call "Goombahs"!!

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 02/18/09 09:11 AM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.