May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (susjwp, Mark II), 847 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,392
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#137031 02/22/09 12:31 PM
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, Ok, in my quest for a good double man it seems that Steve Bertam gets very good ratings from a lot of you. So what can you tell me of his work? Good turn around? Pricing fair?

Any comments, public or private would be great.

Thanks all for all your patience in this. Just want to find a good smith.

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
gjw #137033 02/22/09 01:12 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

GJW..........

Now I am not one of the really knowledgable guys on here, just like my old double barrels, so what I say has to be measured by that.

Mr. Bertram worked on one old double for me. Truth be known the gun was not worth the work but I like it so........... Anyway he did it quick, gave good communicatin as to what was wrong and charged what I thougt was a reasonable price. He put it back on face and corrected a problem with one barrel not firing.

I had a positive experence..............

fishdock #137038 02/22/09 01:55 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve relaid a rib on an LC Smith hammer gun for me, He has done "tuneups" on 3 of my Lefevers. He repaired a badly broken wrist on an "FE" Lefever. You can see that work on his website. He is currently redoing a set of 16 bore bbls from a Fulton. All of his work, for me has been in an acceptable time frame at a fair price, with excellent quality.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve is a great guy and a very capable 'smith. I have seen some of his work; he has helped my immensely with a couple of my projects. Chat with him and you will develop a high level of confidence.

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

As an engraver, All of his work that I have seen stands well for him. I'm perhaps given to closer examination than others due to my trade and would not hesitate to send him personal firearms.

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can confirm what previous posts say about Steve. I'm certainly not one of the knowlegable folks, either. He's reworked a buttstock and reblued the bbls. on my Sterlingworth and fixed a problem on my Webley, I found him to be timely, moderately priced and willing to talk to a neophyte about what is reasonable to do to a gun. He did make a minor mistake on one of my guns. When I pointed it out, he did a "while you wait" correction at no extra charge and several apologies. I'd go back to Steve's shop anytime.

Steve

"Every one must believe in something, I believe I'll go hunting today."
Cobbhead #137049 02/22/09 03:26 PM

I have used both Steve and Keith. Steve put my parker DH back on face and did a great job at a fair price. Keith Did a stock job and barrel refinish on my GH and the barrels did not come back "black and white".

Integrity is like virginity, only you can give it away and only once!
tubes #137114 02/22/09 08:16 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I took my W.& C. Scott 16ga. ga hammer gun to Steve. What I have read from his posts here you can read a lot. He is knowledgable and a nice guy as well. Taking my him in person raised that confidence level up higher than I expected.

Regards, Gordon

Our Dogs make our lives better
Sidelock
Sidelock

I contacted Steve about having some work done on an old rifle. Rather than saying "Sure I can do that" and then delivering substandard work he stated he did not feel that he could preform the alteration and then recommended a smith that could. That gets him a big thumbs up from me. I will not hesitate to deal with him in the future.
Best-JB

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.