May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Karl Graebner, bsteele, ithaca1, 1 invisible), 258 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,710
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi All, I was in my local gun shop the other day and spotted a nice LC Smith 20 gauge, for sale. Probably about 80-90% good case coverage (case is still nice and bright, surprisingly nice but does not look redone as there is some wear to the colors), 28" barrels choked full and full, Barrels in excellent shape with 95% blue or better and bores very nice, chambers 2.5". Has extractors and double triggers. Stock is 13 7/8" to end of wood to a white line pad. Checkering is nice and overall wood is nice with just some minor handling marks. Looks to be an original, unmolested LC Smith. The issues are a scratch on the right side plate about 1" long or less that is not going to be removeable without damaging the case colors. Other negative is a very slight crack behind the right sideplate in the stock and some minor dings to the wood where the stock meets the bottom of the receiver.

I can get this gun for $1,300. Seems like a reasonable price to me but would like some thoughts from the more experienced folks out there. And I know without actually seeing the gun it is only a guess but would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
Ron

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ron, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's "unmolested", as the white line pad is not correct. It possibly was ordered with a pad, and only a factory letter MAY confirm this. The crack you mentioned sounds like damage from high pressure shells and should be repaired along with chamber lengthening if you intend to use it as a shooter. Does the head of the stock show any discoloration from oil? Having said that (and providing you with some negotiating tools) the price sounds a little high.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"...very slight crack..." likely looks like this with the stock removed

Last edited by revdocdrew; 02/25/09 01:27 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the suggestions. Wish I had some photos of it to share as that would really help. Yes, the whiteline pad is definitely not original but I guess I liked the fact that the LOP was 13 7/8" to the end of wood.

Thanks for the help.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Seems like a reasonable starting point for a field grade 20 gauge with long barrels and a decently long stock. If it's anything above a field grade, jump on it at that price. No matter what, you will have to repair the stock to keep it from getting worse.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like a decent gun at a decent price. It could be the basis for a real nice gun with just a little work. I would buy it. Might offer a hundred less because I am cheaper than many.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The White Line pad on this particular gun may not be factory original; however, the original White Line pad was a factory option offered on later production Smith guns. Frank Pachmayer purchased rights to produce the White Line pad after production of the Smith gun was dropped by Marlin; therefore, if the name on the pad also includes the word "Pachmayer", the pad would definately be aftermarket.

Last edited by topgun; 02/25/09 11:05 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all,

Just a thanks for your thoughts on this LC Smith. I went ahead and bought it today. I watch the auctions, etc and felt it was in the ball park but nice to get some opinons from members of this board. This is a nicer gun then I usually buy. I usually buy the klunkers and have fun rust bluing, stock refinishing, minor repairs, etc. Looking forward to trying it out. And eventually will have to decide if I want to open the chokes as it is presently choked tight full and full.

Ron

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Ron,

I think that you did OK. It's very common for Elsies to have cracks behind the lock plate. The main thing is to have them stabilized so that they don't get any worse.

What is the serial number of your new gun? I'd be happy to look it up for you in Brophy's book.

I have a field grade 20 with 28 inch barrels circa 1945. I had the right barrel opened to IC and kept the right at Full. With Win. AA's 7/8 ounce of 8's it works great on doves.

Have fun with your "new" Elsie.

Bryan

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.