April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (bushveld, Marks_21, Argo44, Lloyd3, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 1,166 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,145
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

It might make a big difference depending on the type of shooting and the weight of the barrel. That is why I ask about the how and what. I have maybe one lightweight SS, it's a .25-Krag on a Borchardt and I shoot that one off the barrel as well. I don't have any single shots that I shoot fast or that get really hot. The majority of my SS shooting is all with heavy barreled rifles shooting lead bullets from rest.

None of my pre-war bolt guns have a free floated barrel and I found that they seem to keep their zero for about the first three or four shots, after that the group starts to move. These are hunting rifles and you should have the job done after three ;-).

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

A lighter barrel will definitely benefit from barrel or forearm placement on the bag, or from how it's bedded or fitted to the barrel and receiver.
A good heavy barrel will be ridgid enough that most of us are not capable of discerning any accuracy difference between how it's fitted, rested, etc...
Of course the caliber, recoil, etc. will determine this also, as those guns with higher pressure chamberings will flex and vibrate more, with any weight barrel, so placement and fitting will be more important with them, than with a light recoil low pressure round.
I've got a couple old schuetzen rifles that no matter where I rest the forearm or barrel, they seem to still hit equally well. Then I've got a few rifles that are very sensitive to forearm pressure, and barrel support when firing.

Last edited by Vall; 03/12/09 07:39 PM.

sdh-can you tell if i put you on ignore--regards,ben

Sidelock
Sidelock

"I've got a couple old schuetzen rifles that no matter where I rest the forearm or barrel, they seem to still hit equally well."

Plain to see we all have different experiences in this area. I have never gotten a schuetzen rifle to shoot anywhere as good from the forearm as I can from the barrel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No ben, I can't tell, but your sarcasm has been obvious from your first post.
Best,
Steve

Boxlock
Boxlock

I use a 1" long bedding block screwed to the barrel that the forend screw goes in to. I normally leave a very slight gap at the forend to receiver. The Martini that I'm doing right now will have the block glassed and about 1/2" fore & aft of it, and a very slight amount of relief through the rest of the channel.

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, Iowa
Sidelock
Sidelock

David, I've used bedding blocks on a few target single shots I built for a client years ago, that was what he wanted. They shot great, and it made him very happy!

As Michael said, there are many preferences... What we don't know about barrel harmonics is legion, but we all seem to find something that works for us.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Michael,
I didn't know that Charlie has passed. I shot some Scheutzen with Charlie and the rest of the crowd at the matches in Asheville, NC years ago. Even took a nip or two with Charlie in his camper after dinner, much to the chagrin of the "range patrol". He was certainly a wealth of knowledge and I always enjoyed how he dressed.
blair

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: clowdis
Michael, I didn't know that Charlie has passed. I shot some Scheutzen with Charlie and the rest of the crowd at the matches in Asheville, NC years ago. Even took a nip or two with Charlie in his camper after dinner, much to the chagrin of the "range patrol". He was certainly a wealth of knowledge and I always enjoyed how he dressed. blair

Charlie was one in a long line of good people who had an interest in the Schuetzen rifle. We would occasionally correspond but I found it better to just call him in the evening and run my new ideas past him. I did get to spend a day at his house-shop in VA. I liked Charlie a lot, the big difference we had was I am a traditionalist when it comes to the Schuetzen rifle and he was not. I hope you have his two books, I don't know if they are still available or not.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.