April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (jake van dyke, Parabola, Der Ami, HistoricBore, Fudd, Birdog), 841 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,476
Posts545,192
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nero Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Is it ok to use a 220 Swift in a BSA thick wall Martini or should I stick with a necked down 30-30 case.
Regards.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a hotter round than I'd want my face next to, on a 3/4" barrel shank, thick walls or no.

I read of guys fitting the Small Martini's in a .223, and still don't like the idea. Not based on any numbers, just, well, not comfortable with it.

I figure either a smaller diameter case, or a lower maximum pressure cartridge is probably more appropriate.

Will the 30-30 go around the "curve" and feed into the chamber on the small Martini?

Or are you dealing with a Large frame Martini? (ex .303, or 577-450)

Cheers
Trev

Sidelock
Sidelock

If it's thick wall, it will be a small-action BSA - and Trev is right, the barrel shank is too small for the round. The action will handle it though.
Barrel shank size is important here. A good number for a varmint round in a small-action BSA is the 5.6 x 50R, a bit like a lengthened .222 mag. It will get you close to 22-250 MV's.
And not to worry, it will warn you in time when pressure are getting too high - that's when the cases will be hard to extract. A Martini doesn't have the extracting power of a bolt action.
These small-frame actions are actually stronger than the large ones - better steel, thicker receiver walls.
Main limitations are barrel shank size, rimmed cartridge (not much of a limitation though) and cartridge length for chambering - especially with straight cartridges: it needs to be able to "make the bend"...

Boxlock
Boxlock

Personally, I would suggest going with a 219 Zipper, which is based on the 25-35, for the small Martini actions. Moderate pressure, rimmed, enough body taper to make the bend, and it looks neat!

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, Iowa
Nero Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes small Martini and the 220 Swift goes round the bend in my 7mm Waters ok.
Thinking of using the 30-30 case instead of the 25-35 as its available off the shelf where I live.
So its a resounding no as regards the 220 Swift.
Regards.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have small Martinis in 219 Zipper and 219 Improved Zipper, my friend George the Knifemaker has them in 5-6 different 30-30-based wildcats from 22 to 35 caliber and 44 Magnum. Neither George nor I load these cartridges past about 45Kpsi or slightly above the leverguns' original pressure specs. We both, and also several professional Martini-builders, agree that the 225 Winchester as factory-loaded past 50K is slightly too much for the little Cadet's small-shank barrel. The 7-30 Waters, OTOH, is ideal (~45K) except the rifles usually end up being so light that the recoil is fairly stout (G). An inexpensive way out would be to chamber short with a 225 reamer, cut the rim recess with the lathe tool and then grind off the bottom of the resizer and set the cartridge case shoulders & OAL back a like dimension. This approach would allow use of the relatively common and inexpensive 225 Winchester reamer, dies and brass while at the same time ensuring that high-pressure factory ammo won't fit. The 225 rim is unique, you may want to cut the rim recess for the 30-30 rim and use that brass as a basis although it's somewhat of a hassle. The Donaldson Wasp is anotheer splendid choice except for the greater expense and case-forming hassle. Been there & done that on several of these & similar and can give more details if wanted.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another possibility is a .218 Mashburn Bee. The blown out Bee case should give over 3000 fps with a 40 grain bullet, a bit less with a 45. With the boattailed polytipped bullets of today, the ballistic coefficients on such bullets are significantly higher than the earlier styles with which the Bee was originally loaded. Not a .22-250 or a .220 Swift, but a reasonable 250 yard varmint rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe
I realy like my 30/30 wesson on a 310 BSA Used a barrel from a 308 tactical rem 700. handy size. My 600 350Rem mag handy also. I want to do a 35 cal ss in either rem mag or 35 whelen.I have a very acurate rcbs 180gr sil mould. Maby even a 357 max.
tom

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.