May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jimmy W, cpa, 1 invisible), 881 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,487
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12170 11/28/06 10:25 AM
OP Offline

On a fluid steel barrel set that requires TIG welding to fill pits too deep to remove by draw filing, can successful rust bluing be later accomplished?

Is there a preferred welding rod brand/number used for such repair?

Does filling pits on barrel sides 180 degrees from the ribs normally require barrel disassembly?

All information appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob,
My experience in welding a field grade LC was that the barrel material contains enough carbon to harden as the weld self-quenches when it cools. I used a low carbon steel rod "Ox-weld 65" then had to torch anneal the weld to be able to file it.

You should have no trouble welding on the barrel, even near the ribs. If you have to torch anneal a weld right next to a rib, I'd wire up the rib in the classic manner in that area.

An etching type satin finish rust blue should hide the weld well IMO.

Sidelock
Sidelock

3.5% nickel rod from Brownell's rust blues well and you can keep the original looking polish. It flows nice and works easy. Go slow - I've welded some screw holes in rifle actions that took me as many as 5 sit-downs to fill. Basically just get it hot enough to melt the parent mat'l and rod. Add a little rod and quit before the surrounding area gets hot. This keeps the heat affected zone much smaller, which is what you want. If you really pour the heat to it you can wind up warping all kinds of things that need to stay straight!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would use a MIG welder, I don't see any reason to use shielded gas. A mild steel wire will work fine, but I suggest you preheat the area you are going to weld on the barels. If you are talking deep pits, I would hit it, then leave, hit it again, leave, until it is above the barrels lines. Then you should have enough to file and blend in.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

3,5% nickel steel rod will be the same color as barrels after rust bluing? Your kidding! Mild steel rods only.

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob,
This is the LC I sleeved and TIG'd together with mild steel (ox-weld 65). I filed and polished the weld but haven't blued it yet.

[img]http://www.pbase.com/roaniecowpony/image/41215429[/img]

[img]http://www.pbase.com/roaniecowpony/image/54237530[/img]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob,

I recently finished a welding a crack in a set of Parker barrels that was about 5/8" long. It was the right barrel. Looking at the muzzel the crack was at the 7:00 position and I had no problem with the ribs coming loose. I used mild steel (70S3) filler wire. I have filled pitting many times and only use mild steel wire. When filling pitting the bottom of the pitting needs to be as clean and rust free as possible to prevent porosity from developing in the weld puddle. You may also want to use a heat sink (copper is best) if you are in a thin section of the barrel. I would not personally use a MIG welder to do this job I beleive it would be a disaster. That does not mean that there is not someone who could do it that way but make sure he has really done it before you let him near your barrels.

Bill G.

....JDW....no shielding gas?....ouch!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just my take on the type of welding to use; MIG welding is primarily for production welding, with heat control and filler being of less 'on the fly flexible'. TIG has very flexible on the fly heat and filler control and is very much compatible with unique welding situations.

Gas shielding has all the positive attributes and none that are detrimental that I know of.

I don't have the skill to use a MIG welder for anything approaching this kind of work. But that's just me. I'd be impressed to see it done with one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You may not think so, but I've done it and I know of no better proof than having actually done it. I welded it myself & blued it myself. 3.5% nickel rod works great.

I know that mild rod will work too, but I like the 3.5% nickel. It flows better for me. I always thought this board was for sharing information. I found that the Ni rod welds easier & I can tell no difference after it is rust blued. I thought I'd share my findings with someone that asked the question. I can't advise on a caustic blue because I've never done it. Here's the ad from Brownell's:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/P...EEL+WELDING+ROD

Last edited by bsteele; 11/29/06 06:07 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.