May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (canvasback, DSchrank, SKB, earlyriser), 1,111 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,513
Posts545,667
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Do you know what is better than a Boss & Co???

Of course a pair of Boss & Co.

Why targeting all your money and energy for just one Best Gun? It´s more fun to have several of them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It would be like Playboy magazine with the same playmate every month. I like to have a bunch of different "girls" to enjoy. Those "super models" are always too high maintenance for me.

Last edited by dubbletrubble; 11/29/06 10:21 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

All the dribble about "shoot one gun" is very much just rhetoric, not real world experience. Once I have a positive shooting experience with a gun, whether it be winning money or a good day on birds, that gun becomes part of my shooting life. It becomes hard to let it go so it earns a place in the cabinet, at least for a few years. I once owned a canoe paddle Model 21 double trigger gun that was used pretty much exclusively on Mallards at a friend's RSA here in MD. These were free flying marsh raised ducks that seldom presented themselves to our stool. I never gave those ducks much of a thought when I traded the 21 for a screaming Highwall at an Ohio Gun Collectors Association show several years ago. Next duck season, I didn't know what to shoot, but I had many choices so everything was fine until I realized that the previous season, in the few days I shot those mallards, I had not missed one nor had I dirtied the left barrel. A new Boss would not have appeased me in my misery over selling that gun. I used the same Remington over under to break my first and only 100 straight in registered .410 skeet competition and to win my first and only Silver Medal in International Skeet competition. I sold that gun for $825.00 and have no recollection of why I felt that I didn't need it any more. A Boss wouldn't help me stop missing that Remington either.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a good lesson there- once you discover a gun you can shoot with, never sell it. By all means buy others but never sell a gun that hits the mark - even if you don't know why it does.

The 'one gun' theory is actually sound - I remember that Clarrie Wilson, the Olympic coach, would not let his shooters handle any other gun under any circumstances. Muscle memory is a funny thing and it makes sense for those serious about winning competitions. One missewd bird costs you the medal!

I suspect many of us here share my willingness to sacrifice a little consistencty for the pleasure of shooting different old guns when the mood takes us.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
I have a hard time picturing myself hopping over and slipping off shale rock on a 45degree pitch chasing chukar with a Boss. I've decided to buy guns for use not simply to own.

That really says alot about the way I hunt also. I hunt few flats and some of it is a damn site steeper than 45 degrees as Builder can tell you. I think Shoot-n-release was understating the steepness in the hills he hunts or averaging.

I appreciate fine guns as much as the next guy. I just have limits as to what risk I'll expose a high priced gun to. I've carried a $2k Parker on some chukar hunts and felt like I was foolish for bringing it instead of a $300 S&W 1000 or similar.

JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Please tell us, is it same as telling the difference between $350 and $25 bottle of wine?

The difference is that the wine is enjoyed for a moment and then gone. The Boss if taken care of properly will out last the lifetimes of a few owners at least.

I see no reason not to have the Boss and enjoy guns of equal or slightly lesser quality. Who says you can't enjoy your glass of wine and drink it too in respect to double guns?

Last edited by JM; 11/29/06 05:53 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

[/quote]

That really says alot about the way I hunt also. I hunt few flats and some of it is a damn site steeper than 45 degrees as Builder can tell you. I think Shoot-n-release was understating the steepness in the hills he hunts or averaging.

[/quote]

I was willing to climb that hill but when looking down from the top I experienced the same feeling you get when you stand at the edge of a tall building with no railing!!

So many guns, so little time!

Lowell, I do have a boss. And she's why I don't have a Boss.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Don't we all Carl, and same here!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Its like being a confirmed batchelor..variety is the spice of life.....

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.