May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Fudd, Tim Wolf, Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 892 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,483
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
Almost without variance, the damage that occurs with steel shot comes from tight chokes and large shot. No constriction = no damage in my experience.
Steve

SKB...So you recommend steel shot for any gun without a choke ?

The shot does not stay in the shot cup.....as it's racing down the barrel ahead of the shot cup steel can scratch the bore.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I stand by my load recommendation of an earlier post. I hope that my choice of "hard shot" did not lead anyone to think I was referring to steel or any other no tox shot. I was referring to 1 3/8 ounces of high antimony lead shot propelled at about 1100 to 1125 fps with a powder with the burning characteristics of Unique, possibly as slow as Herco and a firm petalled wad such as the W114. The load should be low pressure, low recoil, friendly to the gun, and should put as much shot in a 40 yard 30" circle as a 1 1/8 ounce 1200 fps out of an improved cylinder barrel. Your comment that your shots are within 30 yards would lead me to believe that you don't have much of a problem to solve.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I endorse Replacement's suggestion for buffering. I added GREX buffering to a 1 1/4 oz turkey load, and improved density by abut 25%. Much cheaper alternative than the exotic metals.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

In my opinion a gun with no choke and using plastic shot cups will be just fine with steel shot. When I first recommended hard shot in this thread I was referring to high antimony shot, just like Bill said above.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Almost without variance, the damage that occurs with steel shot comes from tight chokes and large shot. No constriction = no damage in my experience.
Steve

If some guy reads this and scratches the hell out of a fine damascus barrel with steel shot are you offering discounts on Teague lining ?

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

How many guns have you seen this happen to? My bet is zero.....kinda like the broken stocks you were warning about the other day? I stand by my opinion. If this was the case every gun out there that had shot steel would be scratched up.....it just is not so.
Steve

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Samuel_Hoggson
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Steel shot can ruin old guns.

Not arguing, just asking for a mechanism. If the shot is contained in appropriate thick shotcups so that there is no scrubbing, loaded to acceptably low pressures, encountering zero constriction at the muzzle - how does it damage the "old gun" in question?

Sam

You are correct, that scenario will not harm anything but the target

Sidelock
Sidelock

How many guns have you seen this happen to? My bet is zero.....kinda like the broken stocks you were warning about the other day? I stand by my opinion. If this was the case every gun out there that had shot steel would be scratched up.....it just is not so.
Steve

I'm not planning on trying steel shot in any of my vintage guns....I wasn't warning about broken stocks I just asked if you had ever had one break bending it.

Here's a test....

Take that W.C. Scott with "decent bores" you have for sale and shoot a bunch of steel shot through it....it might polish out the pits.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: roundball
Originally Posted By: Samuel_Hoggson
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Steel shot can ruin old guns.

Not arguing, just asking for a mechanism. If the shot is contained in appropriate thick shotcups so that there is no scrubbing, loaded to acceptably low pressures, encountering zero constriction at the muzzle - how does it damage the "old gun" in question?

Sam

You are correct, that scenario will not harm anything but the target

bUll Hockey.

yOu and SKB should hook up...maybe he'll pay you commission on selling Teague lining.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

So there we have it, you have never seen it happen yet you are sure that is how it works. Seems pretty typical for your scientific evaluations.....

Here for the meltdowns
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.