May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Guy Ave, cable, Warren A, 1 invisible), 437 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,500
Posts545,479
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
So there we have it, you have never seen it happen yet you are sure that is how it works. Seems pretty typical for your scientific evaluations.....

Hey, Y'all be nice to hOjO...he seems to be trying to improve his social skills...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

SKB

I'm on your side. Not scientific, but my brother has fired 100's, if not more, steel loads through his Meriden, bores are still pristine. The first several hundred were high pressure, high velocity loads, mostly 3's and 1's, with an occasional BB--ducks and geese were the targets. Once he shattered his buttstock I convinced him to drop velocity and charge to 1400 fps., 7/8 oz. and 8000# handloads. This gun was originally full and "fuller", chokes were opened up a tad while the gun was being restocked. Don't think I'd subject a $10k gun to the potential for scoring (though I assign this issue to the same bucket as "high base/magnum, low base/soft load) but his hardware gun digests these loads without damage. I'd really like to hear from someone that actually scored a double's bores with steel.

I'll quick put away my soapbox, jOe will pillory me enough for this!

Steve

"Every one must believe in something, I believe I'll go hunting today."
Sliver Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gents,

The gun has damascus barrels and while they measure solid they feel delicate. It might be just in my head, but I am not willing to subject her internals to the hardest shot, choke or not. I don't want to take the chance, yet.
I shot it yesterday with 7.5 subsonic F2 B&P and smashed targets out to 30 yards so there might not be a real problem, this cylinder. However, I am interested in learning about the many possibilities involved with changing the loads through same tube.
For that I thank you very much.
In regards to scoring the barrels I think I remember reading one of the manufacturers mentioning that hevy shot or similar hard non toxic can do that to steel barrels. The scratching was mostly esthetic and not structural. But that is a different topic...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Sliver

However, I am interested in learning about the many possibilities involved with changing the loads through same tube.
For that I thank you very much.

That's one of the great benefits of playing with smoothbore muzzleloaders...in essence, your are into the "reloading" aspect every time you prepare each shot right there at the range, not at home at the reloading bench.

There are an infinite number of variations you can tinker with regarding powder types & amounts, wad types, amounts, & configurations, and shot types, sizes, & amounts.

And the REALLY big plus is that doing it real time at the range, you can immediately see the results after each shot on the patterning board...a live fire clinic on shot load variables.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Has anyone tried cream of wheat as a shot buffer and how did it work? : Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

There have been threads in the past about Cream Of Wheat, but my recollection is that it was being used more as a filler to achieve proper crimping rather than as a buffer. I have not used it, but would think that the density of the stuff compared to synthetic buffers may require dropping a few pellets from the load to stay within charge weight specs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
I agree his knowledge of shotguns has greatly increased since May the 8th.

Thanks...I think.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In the 70´s when I reloaded for geese, I used plain wheat flour as a cushion filler with lead #BB.
The other components were Remington primer and case, a Winchester slow powder (#571???) and a Power Piston (yes, here in Mexico we only had Remington components, but now is worst, because we do not have any!!!)
1-1/2 oz of BB´s was 74 pellets and I put all of them in a 30 inches circle at 40 yds, the mitical 100% pattern with a full choke Mossberg shotgun.

All I said is because the flour works for tighten a pattern, very well indeed!!

Regards,

Jose

Jose M. Fernandez
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have seen a Browning Superposed 20 Ga. and a Winchester 12 Ga. 101 that both had barrels that were "splined" or scratched by Steel Loads. This was how ever back around 1980-1982, the Steel componets are supposed to be better these days.

My Richland Arms 10 Ga. choked full & fuller shows no signs of damage with steel. It is sort of a clunker, so I don't worry too much about it.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Seems they crossed this bridge years ago...

http://books.google.com/books?id=xrwUAAA...d=1_1#PPA130,M2

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.