May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (tut, Lloyd3, Guy Ave, R Reynolds, 2 invisible), 439 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,500
Posts545,469
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I've been pondering getting into reloading. Up until now I've been shooting Winchester "Low noise, low recoil" loads in a 12 ga. Lefever "G". I don't shoot a lot (just a couple of rounds of casual skeet a year), but at the same time this old gun has been rode hard and put up wet many times. In my way of thinking, low pressure will benefit the action and lockup while 1 oz. loads might be better for the 106 yr old wood than 1 1/8 oz. loads. The heavier loads might add marginaly to the lockup wear and tear as the recoil transfers rearward thru the receiver and stock. Does the shot charge make as much difference as I'm thinking on the wear and tear as I'm thinking.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Your thinking is sound! Recoil increases along with velocity and weight of shot charge. Low pressure is good in older guns such as yours.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: grandpas gun
I don't shoot a lot (just a couple of rounds of casual skeet a year),

Try these... http://www.polywad.com/vintager.html

A 100 bucks worth will last you 5 years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

GG:

If you only shoot that much you might want to just buy your shells instead of reloading. RST sells a complete line of low pressure loads and they are great folks to deal with.

http://www.rstshells.com/

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Sidelock
Sidelock

And if you're just talking about skeet loads, just reload with Winchester's gray color 7/8oz wads...more than enough #9's for skeet considering .410" skeet is only 1/2oz and .28ga is 3/4.....I reload 7/8oz #8's for 16 yard trap in my Remington 1187 .12ga

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Glen. The RST people are top notch.

If you are going to reload Claybuster makes their Lightening wad with some low pressure reciepes. The Winchester hull and PB powder combo developes 5600 psi. and feels quite comfortable.

Regards, Gordon

Our Dogs make our lives better
Sidelock
Sidelock

You had it right in your first statement - low pressure for metal
and low recoil for wood. The recoil has no effect on the metal parts and the pressure has no effect on the wood.

If the gun is a little off face, consider the very cheap, yet effective, method of tightening by a thin metal shim between the hook and the hinge pin.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
If the gun is a little off face, consider the very cheap, yet effective, method of tightening by a thin metal shim between the hook and the hinge pin.

I've already taken up some slack in this old gun with the compensating screw and it's back to tight again. I have found out a lot about shotguns in general (and Lefevers in particular) over the last year. Always been more intrested in rifles until now. Still need to get a good gunsmith to look at it someday.

I'm not sure how much a guy could really save by rolling his own. Have access to a couple of MEC's. Would only require a new charge bar to get down to 1 oz. I've already looked and PB does look like a good possibility. I think I'm mostly intrested in trying my hand at it. Ya'll are probably right. No more than I shoot, I could just buy and still come out the same. There are a number of good loads straight from the factory that would more than do the job. I wouldn't be able to do enough volume to get the price per shot down very far.

Thank ya'll for the input and advice,
Larry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Reloading is a saving proposition for volume shooting or a way to get specialty loads. There are now a lot of niches filled that formerly required reloading. I load because the equipment is there, I can kid myself about saving a lot of money, and, well, ---- I enjoy doing it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Grandpa's Gun,
If the gear is accessable load your own. You will not buy a commercially available load that is as soft as what you can make yourself.
Justin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.