April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hammergun, David Williamson, Ducks Rx, Jimmy W), 1,053 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,435
Posts544,708
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 19 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 18 19
PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes my gun is the #2 of a pair, serial number 14325. I have a friend who told me that when you get in the 20 K range there should be no problems.
I would like to sell the Hussey and then have a better chance to get a nicer gun.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

The value is two Husseys equal one Purdey/H&H/Boss/Woodward. The difference is that if we are speaking of a best work gun, the chances of any given gun having originally been a best work gun are a good deal higher with the Purdey/H&H/boss/Woodward than with the Hussey. The market does not like uncertainty, as you can see from the advice on the barrel pits.

A best work Purdey, BV1-OQ1-CC3(significant use) = $21,000. A gun in this condition can have significant wear to blue/black, case color, and wood finish; it might even have a quality reblack and/or wood refurbishment. However, it will not have any barrel, frame, or lock issues; absolutely no burred screw slots!! A $16,000 Purdey, BV1-OQ1-CC4 = $16,000 should fit to a current condition description of, " heavy use, but no abuse." Occasionally, you will find a Purdey in CC3, or a bit better, but with barrel pits due to a short lapse in cleaning after shooting corrosive priming. Uncertainty about the barrels must be a big value hit.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There was some guy on here who bought, had inspected, and sent back through three or maybe four different Purdeys in his 20K search.He may have found one but I don't recall him posting that he did.I do know every one he had purchased went directly to a gunsmith and every one had some major issues.

Hillary For Prison 2018
GJZ Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I own its pair, no. 14324, marked 1. These guns were sold to Griffin & Howe, where they were separated. My gun has original barrels that were struck by HJ Hussey and are stamped with his initials. Lovely gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The first rule of gun trading should be: 1. Never sell a gun that pleases you and you shoot well until you own a gun that pleases you more and you shoot as well or better. If you don't feel comfortable evaluating the Hussey on your own, I would send it off to one of the smiths who have vast Brit gun backgrounds and get an opinion from him as to the quality of the example you have and how he would compare it to a similiar pre-WWI Purdey. If you are concerned about appreciation, consider that as the most highly recognized items leave the market, lesser names of equal (or better) quality will actually appreciate faster.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Man////Got any pics you can post of that nice Hussey Imperial by any chance....let us see the gun you want to trade
I'd think that would help a good bit,,,,it might get high praise from the guys who really know the good stuff.
I saw one at a shoot, & i thought it sublime
Pics of BOTH Guns would be great
Good luck
Franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

It was my impression that H J Hussey was a bean counter, and not a gunsmith. The guns I have seen with the firm name in various manifestations were all of high quality.

Sidelock
Sidelock

here is a rhyme for ya: to play big-shot game one gots to pay for the name......buy quality not the name now that's poor mans game!

GJZ Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

i have exact same tile in my basement whoever put it in for you didn't do very good job. it's man-made but it was on sale at home depot or lowe's so i bought it anyway. nice looking gun.

Page 7 of 19 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.