May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (coosa, canvasback, Marks_21, Hoot4570, Pwog, Guy Ave), 591 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,611
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Flygas #155348 07/22/09 11:47 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve,

Thanks for sharing photos of your work. Your aesthetic has influenced many of my custom projects. I look forward to many more photos in the future.

Shawn #155349 07/22/09 12:19 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

What Shawn said, and plenty of it!
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Flygas #155356 07/22/09 02:25 PM
SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It's great to read all of the encouraging words, I get too close to the projects and this one was sitting in the safe because I needed to get away from it. Doug, JD & Shawn, I enjoy hearing from the other guys who do the work as we all influence each other and if I ever help to provide any measure of influence or enthusiasm it is a blessing. You help me too, maybe with enough enthusiasm to get it finished!

tim, I agree absolutely, scroll or acanthus, but it is up to the client although that is what I recommend.

Shane, at least it's not a German mega-millimeter star-spotter. But I never liked the Alaskan either, too small for a full-sized rifle. I'd have a Leupold 1.5x5 straight tube, like on my own rifle. The .280 can benefit from the 8X's.

Hope to show it in Reno next Jan. and maybe someone will pick it up and say, WOW!
Best,
Steve

SDH-MT #155357 07/22/09 02:29 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Scroll and acanthus? And here I was going to suggest meerkats... I rather like Glenn's, or lemmings perhaps ... Pretty nice, but I do agree that is the wrong scope for that rifle.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

IMO it (best scope choice) depends upon A) the rifle's styling, B) the rifle's intended purpose, C) the particular shooter's eyesight and D) whether the owner wants to see well more than he wants to look good(!). Over the years I've owned and used most of them from old Feckers & Malcolms & A5s to mid-century Unertls & B&Ls & Lymans to the latest Leupolds and Euro mega-lensers. Potting sod poodles or paper in sunlight at relative leisure is one thing but counting antler tines hurriedly at O-dawn-or-dark-thirty in the local swamps & woodlands is quite another thing. Most of my whitetail hunting is conducted by the 8-point-or-better rule, and that puppy BETTER have at least 8 when he hits the ground! That's why I use bright modern scopes on my big game rifles, the old ones are simply not nearly as good. JMO, 'cause as the Madam said to the Bishop, "You pays your money and you takes your choice!"

If we humans were all slaves to tradition then we'd still be arguing about which weight & shape of rock to throw at the eyes visible beyond the cave mouth...
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
SDH-MT #155382 07/22/09 06:41 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SDH-MT

Hope to show it in Reno next Jan. and maybe someone will pick it up and say, WOW!
Best,
Steve

Let me know if someone picks it up and doesn't go WOW because he would need a slap upside the head:)
As I said before beautiful rifle

Michael J

Sidelock
Sidelock

The scope selection problem was solved at my house many years ago. One set of rings has a classic scope, the other set has a more practical using scope. With intelligently designed mounting systems like the Griffin and Howe, both scopes can be sighted in and switched at will.

Flygas #155486 07/23/09 01:43 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve,

Have you ever considered writing "how to" articles for the Double Gun Journal? Dr. Gaddy's articles on case hardening and finishing damascus barrels were wonderful. I wish that the DGJ had more similar articles. I make the suggestion to them once a year when I renew my subscription. I was once told that they did not know of anyone who could/would provide the photos and text for such an article.

Last edited by Shawn; 07/23/09 03:43 PM.
Shawn #155493 07/23/09 04:04 PM
SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Shawn,
Dan Cote' isn't at all interested in what I do. I approached him a few of years ago sending him quite a package of examples of my writing and photography. On a follow up call he wouldn't pick-up the phone to talk to me, nor did he ever respond at all. I can only imagine his attitude (???) was about my long association with Shooting Sportsman (I was inquiring about doing single shot rifles stories).

I haven't seen the magazine for a while but last I did, much of the editorial was based on advertising, and that's not what I'm interested in. You might be interested in the column I'm doing for Sports Afield "Custom Shop" the current issue has Pt. 2 on Walnut for Gunstocks.

BTW: Shawn, many folks think that magazines stories are about what the readers want. Not so, the editors make all the choices and as long as advertising revenues are generated the publishers go along. Unfortunately there is little interest in what the readers actually want, but they do love to publish letters when readers agree with the content.

SDH-MT #158702 08/23/09 01:29 PM

Mr. Hughes,
That is an excellent piece, congratulations on a fine job well done.
A friend asked me to post some pics of this Jerry Fisher stocked Barry Lee Hands engraved Hagn that won" Best Engraved Rifle" at the Reno show last year.
Here it is.

All the best,
Barry Lee Hands
http://www.barryleehands.com

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.