May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (David Williamson, gil russell, Lloyd3, graybeardtmm3, SKB, 1 invisible), 252 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,555
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#156580 08/02/09 04:21 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anybody ever have a handle break?

I felt a strange sponginess and the primer didn't completely punch out. I emptied the carrier, put a couple of empties in the powder and shot stations and tried a stroke. Felt funny, but still didn't hit me right away, then DUH.....suddenly realized the handle traveled a little far!

It's kind of strange that it didn't snap, it just kind of sagged. And both sides at once. No particular shell problem either, just plumb wore out. Must be it gapped only slightly the first time, then more the second. Made me check my other 3 for fatigue, but they aren't nearly as well used as this one. I'm not complaining; must have loaded >200,000 rounds on it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Probably time to go back to MEC for a rebuild!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Give them a call, they are good people to work with.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Aw, just weld it or order the new part. Get the new primer tray while you are at it. Works much better and holds 200 primers to boot.

Best,
Milt

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Milt,

Got a new handle ordered already. I like gee-gaws as much as anybody but I just can't bring myself to spring for one of them new fangled primer feeds!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow! That's 800 flats of shells. You sure must shoot a lot. But,I don't think that should have worn out like that no matter how many times you have used it. I would have sent it back to them and you probably would have gotten a new one for free.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jimmy, it is probably cheaper to buy a replacement than pack it and pay for shipping.

I got pretty good with the old tray but decided to spring for the new one. It is a vast improvement but like most specialty items, it is overpriced. I only use it on my 12g because of the greater volume.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,

My old 9000G broke in the same place as yours but only on the left side. I had one of my foremans weld it up at the time (about 4 years ago)and it's been going strong since. I don't know how many rounds have gone through it, but it is devoid of most of the paint! It doesn't get much use now, I picked up a complete Spolar hydraulic and am now my foot is the only thing getting a workout. I love that thing!!!
There seems to be quite a bit of folks getting out of reloading lately. My buddy and I have bought out several guys components and reloaders for penny's on the dollars the past several months.
Inventory is looking pretty good except for primers.

Regards,
Ken

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken Nelson
Mike,
There seems to be quite a bit of folks getting out of reloading lately.

Ken,

I saw that 3-4 years ago when reloads were $2.50/box and factory ammo was cheap. Locally we had a couple of new companies come to town, one bought out another, etc. so sales, coupons and promos abounded for awhile. I filled the barn with premium STS and AA's for an average $35/flat. Now those are $75+/flat and it's tough to buy promos for < $55. I'm still reloading for <$3 box. Shot restabilized at about $23/bag and we got flooded with shotshell primers a month or two ago; still short in your area?

Jimmy,

I shoot 400 rounds/week, year 'round and the press is >15 years old. All I've ever done to it is replace the gas piston when they upgraded it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,

Shot is still $25-28 locally. Primers are available, but my normal supplier (Powder Valley Services)is still showing most out of stock. I did the same thing you did and bought a lot of promo loads a couple of years ago. That, along with the forty cases I bought from a sporting clays shooter that quit has kept me going the past 2-3 years. I've never quit reloading because the promo and sporting stuff is too hot for some of my doubles. Based on the components that I've bought from the guys that have quit reloading, I'm producing some pretty inexpensive reloads. Shucks, I have a lot of people just give me stuff. Like a 7500 once fired hulls and 23 bags of wads.
I in turn give away the items I don't use and everbody is happy.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.