March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 298 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Tinker Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jack's guns definitely have a 'money shot' kind of glaze on them.
I just put that up as a working-gun example.
This new effort claims that their C-Class (working) rifle will be a full side lock ejector rifle with similar (minimal) engraving.

If I were to 'go there' I'd likely be pitching in for a C-Class rifle.

Any way it goes, the return of the rising bite on a Rigby should create quite the splash.

This old Rigby went through Julia in March.

I think that the real on-the-ground last-word acid test will be how their 'best' guns and rifles compare to the high grade guns of the past.
There are lots of folks who will expect 'London Best' to be on par with 'London Best', and anything short of that will be picked to pieces.
These guys realize this no doubt, and have had plenty of 'Best' guns and rifles across their hands to know the difference.

Cheers
Tinker

The bottom gun is a pre-war British Rigby. It's a Class D, Rigby's lowest grade boxlock double rifle. In that day, Rigby built none of their boxlock DRs. All were "bought in". Most came from Webley & Scott, but a few came from John Wilkes and Charles Osborne, perhaps others. This particular gun came from Osborne. These weren't nearly of the quality of the rifles sourced from Webley and Wilkes.

The new firm says they will only build sidelocks.

"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."
Tinker Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the note on the boxlock and the history notes too!

My intent there was to show bare-bones 'work rifle' from the old Rigby next to a couple of examples from the CA-based shop.

All three being in as-new condition, I'd take the Class D at the bottom of the three.

I can't wait to see examples of the 21st Century London effort.

Cheers
Tinker

Aza Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

[quote=Small Bore]This needs watching. The Rigby name is in dispute with three people claiming the right to use it. Two in the UK and onein the US.

2 in the UK ?
Aza

Tinker Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm guessing P Roberts may be one of those two British men he is referring to.

Originally Posted By: Aza
Originally Posted By: Small Bore
This needs watching. The Rigby name is in dispute with three people claiming the right to use it. Two in the UK and onein the US.

2 in the UK ?
Aza

I do not know who else he is thinking of.
Small Bore - care to toss a clue?

Cheers
Tinker

Tinker Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

First snapshots of the first 12-bore from the workshop

Seems they'll have better images some time next week...

Cheers
Tinker

Tinker Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Aza -

I saw this come up somewhere else on the web, the Rigby Board of Directors (london) have taken a moment to speak to legal concerns...

Originally Posted By: Aza
Originally Posted By: Small Bore
This needs watching. The Rigby name is in dispute with three people claiming the right to use it. Two in the UK and onein the US.

2 in the UK ?
Aza

Originally Posted By: Rigby London Administration, elsewhere on the web, to help answer similar concerns...
Dear Sirs.

Questions have been raised regarding the legal position of our company.
Again because of the support you have shown to us here, we should like to answer your questions.

John Rigby & Co. (Gunmakers) Ltd. is a correctly constituted and legally registered UK company. It has no connection what so ever to any company bearing the same or similar name that may be registered in the US. We do not have the rights to nor have we used any trademarks that may be registered to any US company. You will note that the guns are engraved Jno.Rigby & Co. as they were in the past. This company, is also owned by this board of directors.
John Rigby & Co. (Gunmakers) Ltd’s board of directors has no connection with any persons who may have made a previous attempt to “buy out” the US company of similar name.
The board of Directors is, for the matter of public interest, comprised of gunmakers, gun collectors, professional hunters, engineers, estate managers and others.
The financial structure of the escrow account system ensures that no customer’s monies are ever placed at risk. The escrow accounts are under the control of an escrow management company. They are not monies to which the board of John Rigby and Co. (Gunmakers) Ltd. have access. They are not the property of John Rigby and Co. (Gunmakers) Ltd. and are immune from any legal action.
Escrow gives complete and absolute protection to clients monies, they can only be released upon completion of a contract i.e. delivery of a clients gun. Or failure of one party to complete. That is if the Gunmaker fails to deliver the gun the money will be released to the client. If the client fails to make the final payment the money will be released to the Gunmaker.

We hope that this assuages your concerns.

The Board of Directors.

http://www.johnrigbylondon.com

This might just thicken the plot, tangle the web, or set another stone in the path to success.
Any way it goes, I'm still waiting to see/hold/run one of these new Brit Rigbys.

Cheers
Tinker

Sidelock
Sidelock

Huh? So I can start a J. Purdey & Sons over here without a problem? What about a Boss & Co. Seems odd, but I'm not an expert in this stuff. Anyone have any insights into this?

And all that talk about "escrow" seems odd to me. Who owns the escrow management company?

Do other makers bring this up right away?

One more thing, is there any real advantage to the rising bite action?

What about in a DR? Would the extension hamper the rapid reloading of it?

OWD

Last edited by obsessed-with-doubles; 08/09/09 01:25 PM.

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Tinker Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OWD-

If you want to start a J. Purdey & Sons over here in the USA, I'd think you'd have to first take a look to see if you could legally do that first

If you could - then go for it.
Something you'd (naturally) want to consider is who your market would be.
It doesn't seem that these guys in the UK will have much trouble finding enthusiastic clients.

Originally Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles
Huh? So I can start a J. Purdey & Sons over here without a problem? What about a Boss & Co. Seems odd, but I'm not an expert in this stuff. Anyone have any insights into this?
And all that talk about "escrow" seems odd to me. Who owns the escrow management company?
Do other makers bring this up right away?
One more thing, is there any real advantage to the rising bite action?
What about in a DR? Would the extension hamper the rapid reloading of it?

OWD

On escrow, I don't know who will run the escrow management company.
These guys are definitely on the foot of a very bold move though, and escrow is a great way to protect both the buyer and the seller.
Good for them!

Other makers offering this kind of firewall?
I haven't heard of it - and I haven't looked very closely at other start-up efforts in the 'nice gun world' either.
Has the US-based Rigby effort had a couple of bankruptcy filings since they started up?
If so, what happened to the deposits etc of the clients?

I'm confident that if you (or anyone) are a potential client of theirs, and if you had questions and concerns about the bits and parts of 'the deal', they'd be happy to have a chat with you.

On the rising bite fastener -- strength?
Better than what?
On speed of reloading a double rifle?
I don't have any issues reloading my double rifles that have rib extension third fasteners, and I doubt I'd find the rising bite arrangement any different than those I've run.

Cheers
Tinker

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm just curious, that's all. I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know all the legalities surrounding these things.

These guys have a website that is accessible by US customers, so they are trading in the US. So are those guys in CA.

I wonder if the Rigby/Bissel rising bite is stronger than just a standard Purdey bolt.

This H&H 600NE has a hidden third fastener:

http://www.drake.net/Holland.600%2335698

So does this H&H .375:

http://www.drake.net/h26h375dr

So I guess there is advantage to a third fastener. I don't know enough about DRs to really know.

I think Rigby dropped the rising bite from their Best DRs at one point. I'm sure it adds a chunk of time to the making of the gun. I wonder if that additional time is really worth it.

Just thinking out loud.

Thanks

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.