May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
10 members (Jimmy W, David Williamson, Hammergun, 3 invisible), 570 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,610
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I ordered my RBL 28 a few weeks ago, Lou told me that they are wrapping up production of some RBLs (certainly the 20s and 28s are done), and that they were gearing up for something "big." He did rule out a .410 RBL for the forseeable future. Any speculation as to what's coming?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think in the end it all comes down to gun fit & comfort level. I've shot my RBL in 20 guage with splinter forend and straight stock and achieved the same basic scores as with a Model 23 Light Duck with pistol grip and beavertail.
If the gun fits, it fits!

To me the RBL 12's with 32" barrels feel club like. Heavy and slow. But that's just me. I shoot a Poli with 32" barrels that probably weighs the same, but just moves better for me. Again, gun fit is what matters.

One RBL item that I don't like for Sporting Clays at all is the automatic safety. I've had it removed on my first 20Ga. and plan on removing it from a 28Ga. that I have.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kevin...not meaning to be cheeky...but don't you think you having a model 21 being built might have enhanced your visit a wee bit??
Just messin'..good for you mate.
I'd be fascinated to see it all going on !
cheers
Franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

The next gun to be offered by CSMC (from a reliable source @ CSMC) is to be a sidelock over&under.
I ordered my RBL-16 with a VR and it is hardly noticeable. It is fairly low and has a smooth finish. I would skip this feature if I were to order an RBL-12SC gun. It will not improve your scores and adds little to the look.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Franc Otte
Kevin...not meaning to be cheeky...but don't you think you having a model 21 being built might have enhanced your visit a wee bit??
Just messin'..good for you mate.
I'd be fascinated to see it all going on !
cheers
Franc

It might have, but I have seen plenty of their work and wanted one. Regardless, most anyone would be very impressed and fascinated by a tour at their facilty; even my 17 yr old daughter who has absolutely no interest in guns.

zwego Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I had posted this about a week ago, after my recent visit to CSMC in regards to their new project. In the post I go into a little detail in regards to their upcoming project which is indeed a new sidelock o/u.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...ge=3#Post158768

Hope it helps.
Thanks
Z

Sidelock
Sidelock

Perhaps I'm missing something here. RBL guns, I thought were to be "classic field side by side guns", yet now I'm hearing 12 gauge 9+ pound guns in this topic. Even more bizarre is the 32" barrels, and now being used for sporting clays. I think one should start by shooting classic SXS field guns and "discover" what a classic field gun feels and handles like, why they are and always will be a classic style of gun. Newbies in the SXS sporting clay sport owe it to themselves to discover what the "classic handling characteristics" are all about.

zwego Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Classic field guns may describe the other RBL guns but they have made the 12 ga RBL into two separate versions - a lighter one for field use and a heavier one for targets (winged or clay). Although not stated as such, I believe that the shorter barrel lengths are viewed as a hunting set up and they try to make the gun come in at 7-71/2 lbs while the longer barrels are either shooting waterfowl (heavy loads) or clay games so are built correspondingly heavier. They clearly are building guns for the sporting clays market, as are a few other sxs manufacturers, but they certainly have a large number of features desired for this purpose at an attractive price.
Although I enjoy shooting the odd round of skeet with a light sxs, to shoot a sporting clays course it is much preferred to have a gun heavier than the 7 lb level typical of 12 ga guns used for hunting. An 8 lb gun is much more effective at managing the recoil that one has over the course of 100 plus clays in a day and 30” - 32” barrels provide much better sight alignment than a shorter gun on longer target presentations. The combination of weight, well distributed, and barrel length allows much easier shooting than a typical field gun. Properly set up, a heavy gun can still have excellent swing dynamics and not fell like a log. Pigeon guns, a special adaptation of a field gun, would fall into this category where they are typically pushing 8 lbs but have excellent feel.
Realistically, a well set up sxs is inferior to an o/u for most target games but at least with this type of combination the playing field is a little more level.
Z

Sidelock
Sidelock

R. Wilson,

Some of us enjoy shooting clays with a variety of SxS's from light vintage guns to seemingly heavy and long RBL-12's!

USMC Retired
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: zwego
Urban legend has it, a well set up sxs is inferior to an o/u for most target games ....

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.