April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (eeb, Southern Sport, Lloyd3), 256 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,038
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#161106 09/15/09 07:02 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a very nice LC Smith A2 that has a white line pad installed.Since this gun was made in 1916 the pad clearly is not period correct. I would like to send this gun to someone who can do a first class job installing a fully covered leather pad. I would appreciate recommendations as to whom I can send this to and have the work performed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Carr,

William Apperson in Earlysville, VA is absolutely capable of doing the job. He's a member here, signs on as "William E Apperson", and has an email in his profile. VA may be a bit far for you, but he's a quality guy, quality gunsmith.

Now, as always, for my disclaimer. I do not know if Mr. Apperson wants to do this, as I did not ask him before filing this recommendation. I don't think he's hurting for work, which is a good sign.

Jeff Loth

Sidelock
Sidelock

Phillip, is that a typo in the year made? The latest one shipped was June 12, 1912, and that was a 20 ga. with 32" barrels, nice.

David

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

David, you are correct up until recently the 20 gauge was the last known A2 produced. I purchased the 12 gauge A2 a few months ago. When I purchased it I was told it was a Monogram. Since that time with the help of Tom Archer, and James Stubbendieck I was able to determine it was an A2 and a search of the records found that it was indeed recorded as an A2. The gun was finished July 19, 1916. It is a 2 barrel set, although not recorded as such.

Sidelock
Sidelock

May I suggest you visit http://www.acgg.org? There are many qualified people who may help you listed in their membership.

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Phillip, very interesting in that this gun was made 4 years after production of the A2 stopped. I doubt that it was put away and finished 4 years later, and makes you wonder if the new owner didn't like the choice of engraving/guns then and ordered this. It states that they "would make anything within reason".
Very nice gun and good luck with it. You went to the right people for information.
What style engraving does it have, it states that 4 different styles were made. If it was mistaken as a Monogram, I'm guessing it has the 3rd style with the dogs on it.
To me the 1st style, Syracuse style frame with the stepped side plates, is the ultimate in workmanship and not surpassed by any other gun company, ever.

Sorry to get away from your initial question, and yes that ugly white line has to come off. Like Steven suggested, it has to be done right and that would be the right place to look.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would send your LC Smith to James Flynn to have a leather covered recoil pad installed. He is one of the advertisers on the home page of this BBS.

There is no other person who is better than Mr. Flynn, not even me--even though I can do an excellent job. Mr. Flynn is not cheap, but he is the best and uses leather made to his exacting specifications. Even in my time of living in England I have not found anyone as good as Mr. Flynn there. As a matter of fact most of the leather covered pads done in England look like rubbish and I have seen some terrible examples on Purdey's.

Excellent article on Mr. Flynn by Terry Wieland in the most recent "GRAYS SPORTING JOURNAL".

My experience is that a 3/4 inch thick pad looks much better than a 1 inch thick pad after it has been leather covered, and that black color looks very good on a LC Smith.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

David, I have tried to post pictures but have had no luck. If you send me your email address I will forward some pictures if you would like. I will post a few pictures once I spend the time to figure out what I am doing wrong.
Bushveld and others thanks for the recommendation on a leather pad. The whiteline pad is a real distraction from the beauty of this gun.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.