March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jtplumb, TominPittsburgh, Vol423), 779 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I know this is a topic that has probably been hit on.. But I was just wondering about some of the better investments that some of us have made... Things that have appreciated better than what you thought they would, when purchased... I know the good will always be good, but what about those chance guns?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I have had some great appreciation in nice red wines. However, I have never purchased them in quantities sufficient to do anything with but drink.

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

My Super-Fox has increased something like 20 time what I paid for it 46 years ago, but then my Bond Fund of America has done that over a shorter period of time, and it is not even a particularly good mutual fund. It would be a lot easier for me to go out and buy a nice Super-Fox today, then it was to scrape together the money and trade goods for one 46 years ago.

My gut feeling is that in the current depressed market one will do much better buying real estate then guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Years ago I thought that older American doubles were ripe for appreciation because of their mostly limited production and the expensive hand labor that all but stopped their production. Turns out I would have been better of buying SKS's and AK-47's for pure price appreciation.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Boxlock
Boxlock

An increase in value with the passage of time for any object is not a sure thing. An increase in value requires demand. Given the demographic realities affecting all the blood sports, I question whether any double will turn out to be a good investment in the long run.

What would you like to bet that if a survey of the users of this Web site could be done you'd find that the average age is north of 45? Folks who participate on this board may be introducing their kids to guns, shooting and hunting but others are not.

Guns that have an historical association (i.e. those with a wild west background such as Colt peacemakers) may appreciate because they have value as antiques and museum pieces and their value is unrelated to their utility as shooters. But that sweet little high grade 16 gauge that constitutes your idea of a perfect bird gun? If you can afford to buy it and use it and enjoy it, then do so. But it's only really valuable to bird hunters like you who "get" it and want it. Don't kid yourself that it's an investment.

A World War II era typewriter is, in a sense, a beautiful machine-age object with intricate hand-assembly and construction that today would probably have to sell for upwards of $1,000 to profitibly reproduce. Know anybody who wants one or uses one?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Right on the money Sir- well said indeed. A 1930's high grade LC Smith and an early Smith-Corona typewriter- both fine machinery but on double guns, you buy them "to shoot, not for the loot"- only another brother double gunner would be your potential buyer down the road, and the old "greater fool" theory is like the string than ran out on Madoff's "Ponzi scheme"--One reason why I only buy, own and shoot 12 gauges- supply and demand- more made than the smaller gauges- also I hunt larger birds (pheasants, ducks, geese-) all 12 gauge territory IMO--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the basic idea you all are overlooking is that a gun represent a middle ground between sound investment and blowing money. It also is something that can be enjoyed in the interim far more than a stock certificate.

I'll also mention that while it's fashionable to puff out one's chest and speak of "investing" as an only positive experience, it's more factual that a great deal of investing results in the investor looking pretty stupid.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Years ago I was into collecting Winchester Model 70's. If it has Winchester or Parker on the side many sound minds seem to loose touch with reality. My collection, not the largest by any means, increased more than I ever dreamed it would. I was lucky enough to find several very rare Model 70's in good to excellent condition. Best of all I remained under the radar and almost no one in the collecting field knew who I was or what I was after. Remain anonymous and the price often does not rise extra because people know you want and need their guns. Think of the term "rich collector" and you think about raising your prices right away. Problem is that I was never a real rich, "rich collector". When I sold the collection I netted enough to buy a new house.

I do not see any doubles with the potential to make real extraordinary gains in the short term. If you are after a long term gain buy land not guns. Larger parcels of undeveloped land will become increasing rare and hence more in demand over the next several decades. Guns I am afraid will fall further out of favor as our PC society deems shooting of all kind to be less correct behavior. As we old farts die and are replaced by fewer and fewer double gun enthusiast demand will decrease over time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
As we old farts die and are replaced by fewer and fewer double gun enthusiast demand will decrease over time.

Sad, but true, even with the word 'double' removed.

Exactly why everyone should make it a point to take @ least one non-hunting/shooting kid hunting/shooting every fall...

Always looking for small bore Francotte SxS shotguns.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm reading this thread with interest. If there is such an animal as an 'investment grade' double, what qualifies? Most of what I've accumulated, I paid full price for and doubt I'd come out if I had to liquidate. Luckily, I've never gone nuts and bought high dollar 'collectibles', just decent 'using guns'...Geo

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.