Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#163033 10/04/09 07:07 PM
jas Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It was a clear beautiful day. The dog got birdy and we jumped our first bird at 8:30 at - about 50 yards. I took a questional shot, both barrels went off and the bird dissapeared in a cloud of blue-black smoke. L'Archer, in his excitement of the first day bird took of through some heavy brush and up a rock bank where he ran into a passing train. Meanwhile I reloaded my Lefever and the shell extractor piece fell onto the ground, I did not know it at the time. After the train passed, I called the dog. - No responce.. So I entered the woods, berries, and etc and clawed my way throught the brush. I hear some gasping and located the dog lying on the slope . He had been hit in the head by something very hard at a high speed. His eye was seriously damaged, as was his nose. I got him out of the woods and to the vet by 0900. We hope he will not loose an eye. I also fell on the way out and now have a nice red scrape on my forehead. Great opening day, dog in hospital, scrape on head, and lost extractor on my H grade custom Lefever. Hope your went better.
Does any one have an extractor for a H grade Lefever?

Currently own two Morgan cars. Starting on Black Powder hunting to advoid the mob of riflemen.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry to hear of your misfortunes. As we used to say, "And other then that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play". Sure hope your dog gets well and a better day tomorrow!
Best, Walt

Last edited by Walter C. Snyder; 10/04/09 09:01 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Best wishes to your dog! Looks like you've used up a couple of years' worth of bad luck, so you might be heading for a long white stripe

P.S. My opening day was August 15th and I thought it sucked but, by comparicion, it seems I been doing just fine.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I guess my first day was Better than yours! I am so sorry to hear about your poor dog. Hope everything turns out OK.
This is my first post on these forums, although I have enjoyed them for some time. I have been a hunter for 44 years, a springer owner for 3 dogs, and I enjoy fine guns, just cannot afford many of them. There is a lot I need to learn about double guns, and have learned a lot about older winchester lever guns.
My first hunt of the year was pretty good. Rappel flushed 31 partridge in the Moosehead lake area of Maine in 2 days. Only fired 7 shots, and harvested 4 birds. The foliage is still pretty thick, so if you couldn"t get a shot off in the 1st 25 ft. they were gone. I was hunting on paper company land, large tracts of forest mixed with timber harvested areas. Most of the birds flushed were in the thick "green growth" areas of woods.
Am heading back up next week for a few days. The leaves have probably peaked, and should start falling faster now, so the visibality should be much imoroved.
The birds were eating beechnuts, maple whirligigs, and some buds. Not many berries where I was hunting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I really got into the chukars. I started out with my 20 gauge and got up a flock of huns. I pulled the one hun down, but was unable to relocate them. After a spell I heard some chukars on up the hill a bit. I exchanged the 20 for a 12 and gave them something to think about. I got 6 of them with 18 shots, (one I had to shoot twice). It took a little over an hour and 1/2 of that was spent looking for a cripple. At one place I had 4 birds down without moving a step. I bet I moved 200 birds on a wee small hill. It was very fun. My dog thought so too. I will try to load a picture.

Rob Merkel

Last edited by Fishnfowler; 10/06/09 01:04 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geez John. Now I know why I haven't heard from you. Hope the dog is okay. Call me when you're back to the coast.
Fred

Sidelock
Sidelock

John,

Is L'Archer the young Brittany who used to come around for a few head scratches at the double gun shoots you organized?

I will be going over to Keith's in the next few days, so will check for your extractor parts. He has quite a few bits and pieces.

jas Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Terry
The dog is improving slowly, he was really hit hard with a blunt object. My face is still scratch up and the gun should go to Keith's later today. Cynthia spend most of her time nursing the dog, no idea if he is going to lose the eye or not.

Currently own two Morgan cars. Starting on Black Powder hunting to advoid the mob of riflemen.
jas Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Terry
The dog is improving slowly, he was really hit hard with a blunt object. My face is still scratch up and the gun should go to Keith's later today. Cynthia spend most of her time nursing the dog, no idea if he is going to lose the eye or not. Same dog.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.