May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (ClapperZapper, Fudd, eightbore, obsessed-with-doubles, CJF), 1,027 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,517
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK, I understand the matter of shot deformation, and I understand that we're pushing ROUND pellets here, but what I'm mostly interested in is the clumping... The shot in the center of the shot column wouldn't be deformed very much would it? In a 12 gauge, that's a large majority of the shot is it not? So what happens to that?

Does the shot pattern EVENLY very widely or does the pattern have increased number of "flyer" pellets while the majority of the payload delivers fairly well to point of aim?

American by birth, Texan by grace of God.
Sidelock
Sidelock

SHOOT the loads on paper. That's the only way you'll find out what your gun does with those loads. Various people here can "predict" or huff 'n puff, but only firing the loads in your gun will tell the tale.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So there's no way to give a general guess at what this situation would do to the pattern of any shotgun?

I don't own the shotgun mentioned, nor do I actually have those shells loaded. What I'm asking is basically the effect of velocity on pattern, all other things being equal.

American by birth, Texan by grace of God.
Sidelock
Sidelock

PD, general opinions have already been posted:

First load crappy pattern/hurting shoulder-bloody nose; second load better pattern/less pain.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Online Embarrased
Sidelock

I think if those interested search for Dr. Andrew Jones and read his pattern work, they'll learn alot. Jones shows there is always going to be annular rings of pellets surrounding a hot core.
In a general sense, the exponential increase in recoil and stock damage is counterbalanced by poor(thin, unuseable) patterns as speed goes up. Recoil growing by the square of velocity as it were.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: phideaux2003
So there's no way to give a general guess at what this situation would do to the pattern of any shotgun?

I don't own the shotgun mentioned, nor do I actually have those shells loaded. What I'm asking is basically the effect of velocity on pattern, all other things being equal.

We can all guess, problem is no one can predict what will happen in a given shotgun.

At least part of the problem is that "all other things being equal" is seldom true. In your example you changed both the wad and powder, not just the velocity. To isolate the velocity variable, you'd need to use all the same components, just more powder. But, of course, doing that would also change the peak pressure. And while some would argue that peak chamber pressure should have "no" effect on patterning, that's wishful thinking without being able to prove it.

Bottom line; even if you managed to convince yourself there was a patterning difference in your tightly controlled test, odds are someone could produce data showing the exact opposite with other loads in another gun.

At the end of the day, what benefit is there to a "general rule?" Even if you thought you could say with 80% certainty that such and such will happen, is that good enough? If it's really important to know, it should be worth spending a few minutes patterning to find out for sure.

Sidelock
Sidelock

phideaux2003,

It might be helpful to read what Bob Brister had to say on the subject; ("Shotgunning the Art and the Science")
...."This brings up another long-standing idea of shooters which is partly correct and partly untrue, the contention that adding velocity opens patterns and that reducing velocity tightens them. As a rule of thumb this idea is true. But it is not necessarily the velocity that makes the difference, it is the shot deformation. If shot are sufficiently hard to resist deformation at the higher pressures of high velocity, then they pattern about as well as the same shot at low velocity. I tested this with the highest velocity loads I have ever put through a gun barrel and with the hardest shot of them all-steel.

Canadian Industries (CIL) made some experimental loads of steel shot several years ago apperently with the intent of increasing penetration by increasing velocity. To be able to do this with reasonable pressures, they loaded a very hot powder charge behind a light load of 1 ounce of shot (12gauge) and obtained velocties said to be over 1,500 feet-per-second. I chronographed them at 1,450 feet-per-second, and thoroughly expected to see blown patterns with such velocity.

Instead those little loads patterned consistently better than 80 percent.

There is undoubtedly a slight pattern-opening effect from extreme velocityeven with steel shot, but it is nothing like that experienced with lead. I tested some high-velocity lead hunting loads containing No. 7 1/2 shot thatwere hard as most hunting loads produced in 1975 and early 76 and got 40-yard patterns around 68 percent from a full choke Perazzi. With the same gun, but the shot replaced by extra-hard, high antimony shot, the pattern jumped to 80 percent. The velocity was still there; the difference had been deformation."
Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

For a while some sporting clays shooters were using fast 12 gauge Longshot loads at our range. They were exceedingly loud. Burning nearly 40 grains of powder turns up the volume. You would not have to ask what they were shooting. Eventually, people stopped using those loads. Probably, their scores were no better than with milder loads.

About 15 grains Longshot in 28 gauge gives a mild report, so the amount of powder probably makes the difference.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.