March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (trw999), 852 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK, so I have this Parker that I bought several years ago. The barrels have been cut off to about 18 inches. And they are really thin at the muzzle. I measure them between .001 to .002 in a couple of spots. (Equal to about three sheets of paper) So, what could happen if I went ahead and shot it to see if it shoots? It is a 16 gauge and I would love to see how it would do at skeet. But, could the barrels split? Could they blow up? I am really leary about shooting it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Three sheets of paper is a lot thicker than .002" unless you mean toilet paper.

I guess it's all anecdotal at this stage, but I have seen guys shoot doubles with barrel so thin the muzzles were no longer a circle. They just looked like a ragged shirtsleeve.

I'm not sure why you need to shoot it to see if it shoots but if you just has to.....load it up and hold it at arm's length with a pair of welding gloves on and maybe even a motorcycle helmet. If it does blow it won't hurt you much. You'll be a hit at the Skeet field, no doubt!

Sidelock
Sidelock

yER not thinking with yer dip-stick Jammy...

I had you pegged as a closet cOwboy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think your decimal point is in the wrong place. Are you really talking about one to two thousandths or ten to twenty thousandths?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just mic'd a sheet of 20lb printer paper & it measured .004". As I recall old lined note paper measured about .0035". Three sheets of these respetfully would = .012" & .0105".
Its rather obvious Jimmy isn't very mathamatically inclined or a very poor typist.
It is noted that Greener mentioned firing a gun whose bbls in this area had been reduced to about the thickness of "1" sheet of paper & they held up. After the test he ripped them with a pen knife.
I would be much more concerned with the thicknesses from breech to beyond my hand, how do they measure there??
PS; There will be no choke in these bbls so will be no concern of increased stress from the charge "Hitting the Choke".

Last edited by 2-piper; 10/08/09 08:28 AM.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hundreds, thousands, ten thousands. OK. .01 to .02. (It has been a while since I took math). I would also like to use the gun as a home defense gun, but I would hate to use it and have it blow up on me. I wouldn't feel too bad about using it at the skeet range because Cowboy Shooting is very big in this area, (although I don't do it) and one of the events is shooting with a shortened barrel at skeet. One of the guys at our club brings out his "coach gun" all the time. So, I would just to try it out to see if the guy who rebuilt it did as good of a job as he said he did. If I could get longer barrels for it I would. But I am going to put a leather covered pad on it and leave it as is. Or maybe sell it as a cowboy shooter. So, thanks for the input. I'll try it out this weekend. Good luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jimmy: You don't say what grade Parker that you have. If it's a high grade or small gauge it might be worth getting it re-barreled. If not, I would not shoot it under any circumstances and I would not sell it to a "cowboy shooter" to shoot. You may just be signing his death warrant. Sleeving or sub-gauge liners may be an option.

Just My Humble Opinion......George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Boxlock
Boxlock

Hi-I agree with George-If you want to test fire attach to a tire
and use a long string to fire from a safe distance
Sydney

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why would you ever consider using a gun you did not have 100% complete confidence in as a home-defense gun? If there was ever a moment you needed a gun to absolutely work as intended, this would be it.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

No point in spending a lot on a home defense gun...the cops will just take it away and you'll ever see it again, assuming you kill some old boy with it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.