April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (buckstix, Gunning Bird, HistoricBore), 240 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,045
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#163458 10/08/09 06:02 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Someone out here probably knows off the top of their head - At the low end of the spectrum Smith used a conventional lacquer finish, and at the high end it was an oil finish. At what grade level did the lacquer stop and the oil begin?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe you may have this bassakwards, and I'm not convinced that lacquer alone was ever used---my fairly high grade Smiths have multiple coats of oil finish.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have seen a few lower graded ones with varnish or shellac, maybe the Marlin era ones used lacquer. On pre-13 guns, shellac or varnish was used on most and in a 1906 catalog it gives reference to a Pigeon Grade as "They are all finished in oil", Grade 3 doesn't give reference to oil but states "We are always careful to give as rich a color and as fine a figure as possible ". The A-3 and later the Deluxe in 1913 stated "as many coats as possible to bring out the figure".
Also in ordering a gun you could ask for the finish you liked on any grade as a small option.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have no idea where the break point was between high and low grade Smith guns as to stock finishes. A former employee told me that Field and Ideal Grade guns were considered the lowest grades and were produced by the least skilled workers. The highest grade Smith guns sported hand-rubbed finishes produced by a factory concoction called "Rose Oil"; and the costliest Smith guns received as many coats of this stuff as was necessary to achieve the desired finish. Charles Jerred Jr. told me that his father's unfinihsed Deluxe gun had received more than 100 applications of Rose Oil; a few drops at a time carefully rubbed in, then the stock set aside to dry before the next coat was applied. Maybe middle grade Smiths received the same finish; only fewer applications, but that is pure speculation on my part.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I washed the finish off the half a dozen LCS that I have refinished with alcohol This works on original Parkers through AH grade. I believe that shelac was the finish of choice. It was much better stuff than the finish on your wife's table that turns white if you get it wet.

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, in the French polishing method, if you add a drop of oil on your shellac pad it helps make it water resistant and helps it from sticking to the last coat.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I read that fresh shellac is waterproof. That is just made by mixing flakes with alcohol and then using it. My preference is button lac for honey colored stocks and garnet for the old WW red color. It is amazing how shellac enhances the grain.

bill

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.