May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Argo44, eeb), 684 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,604
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Something I've started doing when I ship guns is to purchase a cheap luggage case such as a Doskocil at Walmart or such and then box it up too. I have also bought a little nicer case that will allow the gun to be taken down, since the Walmart specials are usually full-length only. I just ask the buyer to ship it back on my nickel. Cheap insurance.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been using FedEx for the last several years, with no problems or complaints. I have a local gunsmith/friend who allows me to ship and receive through his daily pickup. The fees I pay through him are considerably less than through the Post Office, especially the insurance. I am very fortunate not to have to deal with idiot clerks at either UPS or FedEx. I do prefer either UPS or FedEx over USPS because USPS has no tracking ability.

> Jim Legg <

I have only had one gun shipped to me by USPS. This gun took 18 days to travel about 1500 miles and arrived damaged. The most frustrating part was that USPS apparently had no way to tell where the gun was at any point during its travels. I find that unfathomable, and since then have only used Fedex whenever I have a choice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken Hurst
I still don't understand why people still ship via UPS or FedEx. After these guys got their tails up on their shoulds, I started using USPS and have never had a problem with damaged packages either shipping or receiving which is more than I can say for the other two !! I no longer accept packages sent by them and tell my clients so. I have received to many damaged packages and a few losses due to their "Care ?" During an average mo. , I ship quite a few firearms and feel over the past 8 years or so there should have been at least one damaged/missing shipment ----- not so. Furthermore, even shipping via reg. mail, it is still cheaper & arrives in about the same amount of time. FWIW, Ken

I found this to be true. The post office is the best way to ship rifles and shotguns. Handguns is a different story. Just use the USPS and save yourself all the hassels and some money to boot.

Jim

I've never met a bird dog I didn't like.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: riflecat
I have only had one gun shipped to me by USPS. This gun took 18 days to travel about 1500 miles and arrived damaged. The most frustrating part was that USPS apparently had no way to tell where the gun was at any point during its travels. I find that unfathomable, and since then have only used Fedex whenever I have a choice.

I would recomend USPS registered mail. For most guns it is cheaper to send registered mail (which includes insurance) than to insure regular mail. Registered mail gets sealed and stamped and then each postal employee that touches it signs for it. At each point along the way there is a single employee who is individually responsible for the package. The system if individual accountability is why someone who sends and receives the amount of guns Ken does can go 8 years without a single problem...

If the gun had been sent registered mail ($21 last time I shipped a gun) there is no way that it would take 18 days, and they would know exactly where it is at each point.

Last edited by erik meade; 12/09/06 01:28 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have shipped guns to Cole Gunsmithing in Maine several times and I have found USPS to be convenient, relatively cheap, and free from hassles. He ships back by UPS, but it is different - he ships so many guns that he has daily pickup and his local UPS people are used to handling guns and know the rules.

Always be careful not to put anything on the outside of the package that would reveal there is a gun in it - and that includes the address. When I ship to Cole Gunsmithing I address it to Cole, Inc, and when it comes back the return address is in Rich Cole's wife's name. It doesn't say "gunsmith" anywhere.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've both shipped and received a bunch of guns via UPS. Never any problems. I take mine to the place where the brown trucks come and go (I think some people call that a UPS store, but I guess it's incorrect, technically speaking). They have a sign that says they open and inspect all packages, and I usually leave an end open in case they want to do that--but they never have. They do ask me, on occasion, whether the addressee has an FFL, which of course he always does.

The closest thing to a problem I ever had was a gun that somehow got misrouted; funny to track its progress, or lack thereof, using the UPS tracking number. But it eventually got back on track.

Have used USPS some as well. No problems there. Even received a gun from England at my local PO once; postmistress collected the duty, filled out the required forms, etc.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.