April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (graybeardtmm3, susjwp, SKB, 2 invisible), 1,058 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,855
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a HJ Hussey that I have talked about on this board before. I have tried to sell the gun but seems no one is interested. So I have decided to see what I can do to improve and keep the gun. I would like to re-case color the action and maybe have the stock refinished into the more natural look of the wood.It has a red stain that seems to be hiding a nice piece of wood.
Who do you guys recomend and what kind of cost would I expect?

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Forget it. Too expensive to have it done right - at least the metal. And I wouldn't trust anyone in the US to get the metal right.

You will not increase the value of the gun, either.

The wood may just need to be cleaned up. It's probably French walnut.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Recolor a Hussey? It brings to mind a turd on a collard leaf. The new color will stand out a bit, maybe more than a bit.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The red color of the wood is traditional and proper. Re-hardening will probably not look right, and may damage the gun if done improperly. You could pay a lot of money and damage and de-value your gun. In my mind, vintage guns look "correct" with worn colors.JMHO.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ray st Ledger is the main man over here for case colour beware as some will do it and it will wash off in the rain!! I would leave as is.

Sidelock
Sidelock

ALL OF THE ABOVE!

George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn't ever consider buying a British gun that has been through what you are proposing.

You're getting some pretty good advice here. For blacking, Johnsons Barrel Browners (I think barrel browner above might be associated with them) is the best in the British trade. They know the business, and I agree with his recommendation. St. Ledger's occupies the same position in the trade for case-hardening. The reddish tint in the wood finish (alkanet root) is correct for the gun.

Given our discussion of this gun, I think you can spend money without improving its value, and I don't think you can improve it's looks. It's a grand looker of superb quality. Leave it alone and enjoy it.

"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles
And I wouldn't trust anyone in the US to get the metal right.
OWD

You have a tendency to write some really nutty stuff. Are you kidding me OWD? We have some of the best metal smiths in the world living in our country. Pete Mazur? Ya, I'm sure Pete couldnt get it right. I'm not even gonna name the others that come to mind.
If this gentleman chooses to have work done on his Hussey, there are wood and metal guys here in the U.S. that could have his Hussey looking like a million bucks. Dave Wolf in Waco Tx, would have that wood looking proper for around $800, if the barrels need blacked, a "best" quality job is gonna cost around $400-600, fire blue the screws and action pins for about another $50-$100. All done for the price of a new Benelli autoloader (Yuck).
If you're going to keep the gun, do with it what you please within reason, the above things will clean up the aesthetics, make it more pleasing to your eye. I agree, leave the case colors alone, older guns tend to look very classy and distinguished showing their age on the action.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.