April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 1,006 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
RMC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Comment on another post claims the RBL is superior to the Parker Repro. No dog in this fight, just curious. Randy

RMC
Sidelock
Sidelock

I own one of each in 20 GA. The RBL design is about 100 years newer than the Parker so in that respect it likely has a superior design. The RBL has screw in chokes providing versatility to many shooting situations. The Parker has a checkered butt and short LOP which for me requires a slip on pad to protect and lengthen. The RBL has a reasonably good single trigger. The Parker repro single triggers have their faults. The materials used to make the RBL may also be superior.

Both the RBL 20 and Parker repro 20 are in the same price range. While both may appreciate over time I think the parker repro will appreciate at a faster rate.

The Parker repro is a Parker. There are many reasons that many, many collectors and shooters alike prefer Parkers.

My Parker repro is a DHE as is it's safe-mate, a 1910 Parker 20 GA. If handling these two Parkers blindfolded if would take an expert to identify the repro (other than the wear on the older gun’s engraving). The repro isn't a "cheap copy", it is a exact reproduction of a very highly sought after classic.

Ultimately, while the RBL has its merits, the is overall superiority of a RBL to a Parker repro is a matter of opinion!

Last edited by MarkOue; 10/31/09 11:20 AM.

USMC Retired
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fit and finish on the Parker Rep are extraordinary for anything but older or fine guns. The design of the RBL uses more modern concepts of "fit". The art of gun making... Which is better is going to be a matter of taste. In the grouse covert-the RBL is amazing in its handling.

h
Sidelock
Sidelock

PS: For those that need or just appreciate versatility the RBL will be found to have few - if any- rivals. In that respect one can understand why it might be thought superior to what has been long considered the best damn buy in a double barrel...the Parker Repro

h
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good question. Good answers. In a forum of exchange of information, the striving for objectivity while not subordinating feelings does it for me. Thank you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That aside, I heard God owns an assortment of Parkers including a Repro. No orders from God yet at CSMC for a RBL.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Parker Repro is a lot prettier (IMO), is very well made, and can sometimes be found with LOP of 14 3/4" (I have a 12 ga with that LOP).

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's not a secret, I don't like Parker Repros. I had one of the single trigger guns that never worked and it cost me a lot of money before I dumped it. So, don't expect an objective opinion.
It is mind boggling to me that the Parker Repros have gone up the way they have. This makes the RBL an even better a choice.
The RBL is an American gun which has value to me. It has modern dimensions which means the gun will fit most shooters and you have two choices for L.O.P.. Many of the features built into this gun including coated (hard gold) internal parts are never mentioned and certainly not found in a Repro. It has real case-hardening that will last, a good stock finish, and a many options found only on custom guns.
How about product service? If anything goes wrong with a Repro, good luck! An RBL can be shipped back to CSMC and, often, you will have a one day turnaround.
I'm a hunter and clay target shooter. I demand guns that fit and that are dependable. The choice, for me, is easy. If they ever stop making RBL's, you will see the price go through the roof. Until then, enjoy a great American made SxS at an affordable price.

Sidelock
Sidelock

well, in 100 years the Parker reproduction will still be an identical reproduction of a classic shotgun made with "modern" dimensions and modern metalurgy. Most of the problems with the single trigger were easily resolved by a good cleaning. One knock on them is the "thin" case coloring, but case coloring on any gun is thin and easily worn off unless protected. The other knock was wood, though always beautiful, that was not up to the task and would split at the wrist.

In a 100 years, who knows if the RBL's will be considered a classic design. Right now, I consider the Parker reproduction to be a prettier gun and already a classic design.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 20ga. RBL and I had a 12ga., two barrel set Repro. The Repro had absolutely killer wood and I had no problem with the SST. With the wood, skeleton butt plate, case and finish I would say the Repro was the prettier gun. But, the RBL has vastly better dynamics than my Repro had and the same is true of a 20ga. Repro that I had some trigger time with. That settles it for me. The RBL is the better gun because I buy 'em to shoot 'em.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.