April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (canvasback, Fudd), 488 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was looking at what appeared to be a new Perazzi MX-8 at a good price, but noticed the frame, forearm and wood were one number, while the barrels were another serial number. I understand that barrels can be retro-fitted, but is it normal for Perazzi to supply new guns with mismatched numbers? Thanks, Keith

Sidelock
Sidelock

No.

But there are a lot of tortured Perazzis out there... backbored, ported, screw choked, stocks hacked, weight added or removed. Goes with being a target gun. I like old guns, but when I bought my third Perazzi, I bought new. And all the serial numbers match.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You say looks new. Be that it may be, it may have been sent back for additional barrels and the matching number set lost in some way. Might be the reason for its being sold.
I don't see this as a problem if you wish to shoot it and it satisfies you. BUT---I would discuss this with the seller and if it proves to be unsatisfactory as a shooter, then it can be returned for full refund.
As a set of original barrels, in the same condition as the rest of the gun, is worth half of a gun's value, I would think that this one should be discounted by, perhaps, 1/3rd.
If the price is good, then it may be a great bargain.
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Piece guns are out there, and it's a good thing you checked to make sure the serial numbers matched. While a piece gun can be safe to shoot and may work well, they will never hold any real value compared to the same gun with matching serial numbers throughout.

If the gun was sent back for a second set of barrels, then ask the seller who made them and check with that company for verification and information.

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

You should also drop the trigger & see if it matches [serial number] the rest of the gun as well. There are any number of P-guns with dif triggers, bbls, etc. and there are also many that got fitted with side plates and engraved in factory patterns, tho they are not 'factory' guns. Each one really has to be judged on its own, but there are a lot of just fine P-guns about that have that 'new look' about them when, in fact, they have been completely redone or reconfigured. I would use a lot of caution buying any high grade gun and verify the authenticity with Perazzi first, but for a shooter it is really more a matter of what the condition is at the moment, 'redone' can be as good as new and it often is. Original bbls sometimes have things happen to them .. like being made into a set of carrier bbls for skeet tubes or an incident of some sort or another. I would not view a well fit non matching set of original Perazzi bbls as a detriment, but I would also be very quick to point out to the seller that the gun is NOT brand new, nor original.

FWIW, I ordered one way back when [right after the first Gun Digest article came out on them] with two sets of bbls and they BOTH carried the same serial number, as did the trigger assy's. The latter were $75ea. Can you imagine!?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have you checked the serial number to see when the gun was made,also the proof date stamp under the barrel block, it will be two letters in a box which indicates the year of proof. eg: BA etc, many perazzi are regularly quoted as being much younger than they really are. proceed with caution.

Hotrack

Life is too short to drink cheap wine
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here are some proof codes by year BA 1991 B1992 C1993 D1994 F1995 H1996 I1997 L1998 M1999 N2000 P2001 S2002 T2003 U2004 Z2005 CA2006 CB2007

Hotrack

Hotrack,
Where did you find the barrel date codes? Mine are stamped BC on a 91,000 serial receiver which I bought new in 1994. But you only listed one double code for 1991.

As for trigger groups being marked, many Perazzi shooters have backup triggers which aren't numbered to the gun.

When a gun is sold as "new" without a matching serial number on the trigger it could simply be that it was swapped at another customer's request. Perhaps his gun came with a selectable drop out trigger and he wanted a non-selectable or vice versa.

Customizing a target model MX8 may reduce the price but mismatched numbers usually will not make it worth less. The fact that most target guns will be shot extensively generally means a refinish during its life, and it will probably take another 50 years or so to make any MX8 collectable anyway

F.W.I.W. - If matching numbers are important to you, either pass on it or have the barrel flat renumbered with a factory stamp by Giacomo to match the receiver.

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it" - Capt. Woodrow Call
Sidelock
Sidelock

What difference does the seial numbers matching make? If you are going to use it as a target gun and it fits and barel suits you then buy it. If it was a Parker or high grade collector gun then I could see the point.
Perazzi's were made to shoot and shoot a lot.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

The date code on the barrells is when the barrells were proofed not necessarily when the gun was made, my gun was made and proofed in the same year BM 1999, Also the date of purchase could be years after date of manufacture as guns can hang around dealerships for some time before sale.

I found the date codes on an Italian web site and copied them down, can,t recall web adress

Hotrack

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.