May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ken Georgi, Karl Graebner, bushveld, Lloyd3, 2 invisible), 250 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,370
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14459 12/12/06 02:31 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

20ga/30" from ca. 1948 in unused condition. Is it worth $1850?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would think so if truly original. If you don't, someone else will.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree

Sidelock
Sidelock

If it is from 1948 the prefix to the serial numbers would be FW S and it should have the Single Sighting Plane rib. I think a 20 ga. with 30 inch barrels would be rather rare, and I've also read somewhere that it seems to be the 20 ga. with the 30" barrels are found more in California for some reason. Might have been a Bay area duck gun club special.
If it wasn't ordered with any special chokes, Hunter Arms made them full/full.
I would definitely think that in unused condition it would be worth more than that.
Let us know. I'd love to see some pictures of it.

David

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks. I like the semi-beavertail fe, it's ga and condition. My problem is I know so little about LCS shotguns. I know it uses locks not unlike Birmie Will Baker (with coil springs replaced by flat springs), and the guy who owned this company later made Smith-Corona typewriters.....and to watch out for cracks behind plates especially in field grade guns.
I'm fish out of water on this one, but might take a second look at this gun. I'm sure it will sell, I have seen 12br guns in equal condition and vintage go for not much less $.
You see, it's "hidden" in glass cabinet and the shop is full of Benelli and Browning lovers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If it has a beavertail forend, it is probably a replacement, the only way to know for sure is to take the forend iron off the wood and see if there is a stamped serial number in the wood, usually on the end where the forend metal mates to the receiver.
L.C. Smiths were famous for loosing the forends because in order to take them apart you have to re-cock them, then take the forend off and barrels from the receiver. You will put a lot of pressure on the "J" spring and bend it.
As far as cracks behind the sideplates, that is true, because most people who shoot them now, shoot higher psi shells than you should. You should really shoot only shells with about 8,000 psi.
Also, if a 1948, it will have 2 3/4" chambers. Earlier ones before 1936 had 2 1/2" chambers.
Ask to take it apart, or have them take it apart and see if the serial numbers match on the parts you can see, forend iron, barrels, receiver. Write the serial number down and myself or someone will verify what year it was made.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lots of infro, history, pics, answer guys here:
http://www.lcsmith.org/
And worth every penny if indeed 'unused'

Check the first few case color examples here for pics of almost new factory case colors:
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=12588446&uid=6511424

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for your help. The gun was tight as new Merkel, but the wood was too nice for this model, so it was probably professionally re-stocked. There was some varnish overruns on top strap, but little varnish on the stock, and the buttplate was cracked and too worn when compared to rest of the gun.
I did buy pack of 'Cape-Shok' ammo for .375, nice Guide Series Saturday Lounger' (can't go wrong for $36 sale price), and three books, so it's all good.
PS. Didn't take the fe off to verify #s, because nobody at Gander Mtn. could figure out how to do it, and there was no release or finger slot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

PJ

I paid $1550 for a 20ga. several years ago. Case colors were at least 95% but the stock had been cut and a pad put on it. Looked like the closet queen everyone talks about. I had no intended purpose for the gun, just bought it because it looked so good. Since then I've started reloading for 20Ga. and shoot it as much as any of my other guns.

I think that price may be a bit high but in five years it will be that and more.

Kind of hard to walk away from a 20ga. Smith.

Jim

I've never met a bird dog I didn't like.

What is the original stock finish on these, varnish or lacquer?

I have a 1948 also, FW 16 Field gr.
Great condition but the canvas slip it was in looks to have
'embossed' a bit of the finish.

Previous owners' solvent bath ?? Hot/cold forming due to storage?

Thanks for any info.

T.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.