May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (Dan R, Chantry, earlyriser, Lloyd3, fullandfuller, dogon), 1,030 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,503
Posts545,542
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just obtained an older 98 Custom Mauser of excellent quality,fine wood, checkering, bluing and hand engraving. The rifle was made by Kess Arms Co. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks Jerry

The Sons of Alvin Linden
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm sure they were post-war and I don't have a file on them. They were located (1956) at 3183 N. Green Bay Ave. Milwaukee, WI. I'll look tomorrow for more.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think a Kess or two were shown in the custom gun section of the Gun Digest in the 60s or 70s.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

THANKS GUYS! Headed to Land of Lincoln [IL.] for muzzleloading hunt. Will stay online to check your info!!! You guys can always be counted on! Jerry

The Sons of Alvin Linden
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry,

I also admired their work in the GUN DIGESTS.

In March '68 I wrote for a brochure or catalog. Harland L. Russell replied "I am sorry we do not have any fancy literature or pamphlets to send out..... if you have a particular job to do we would be glad to quote on it."

Their letterhead reads "Kess Arms & Marine" at 3283 N. Green Bay Ave. There is also a logo for Kiekhaefer Mercury.

Hope this helps-good shooting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Custom Built Rifles" by Richard F. Simmons 1949 has an address for Kess Arms Co. at 100 W. Center St. Milwaukee, Wis.

Two Kess rifles here,

http://www.williamlarkinmoore.com/Arrivals.htm

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but this one really got my attention. You see, my father very likely built your Mauser.

My dad, Warren Reichow, was the primary gunsmith and custom gun builder at Kess Arms for over 25 years. The business was owned by Harland "Russ" Russell and his wife, Marge. My dad did about 75% of the metal work and maybe 90% of all stock work. Sometime around 1970 they moved the business to Brookfield, Wisconsin and Harland passed away. Marge and my dad continued as Kess Arms until it was sold to Jays Sports in Menomonee Falls. Until shortly before his death in 1988, my father continued to work part time for Jay doing general gunsmithing as well as taking on the occasional custom job on the side.

Last edited by ShootingStar; 11/22/12 09:04 AM.

Mark

A sailor's creed - "If you can't tie good knots, tie lots of 'em."
Sidelock
Sidelock

Your Dad built a mighty fine rifle! Mine is engraved, did he do any engraving?
I bought mine from the estate of a gentleman who had beautiful rifles built but NEVER shot any of them! It was absolutely Mint. In fact ,he was not even a shooter...just a collector. Mine had never even had the plug screws removed from the scope mounting holes. BTW where did the Kess name come from? How and When did they start? Did your Dad mark his work? Again you should be very proud of his work! Warmest Regards Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the kind words. Dad didn't do engraving, and I wouldn't know who might have done yours. Unfortunately I don't have any info on the early history of Kess Arms. I would love to see a pic your Mauser.

Mark

A sailor's creed - "If you can't tie good knots, tie lots of 'em."
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am in Montana hunting and my rifle is in a gun safe back home. I'll try and get one in the next week or so. Thanks Jerry

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.