May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Birdog, Ted Schefelbein, bsteele, Jtplumb), 801 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#173767 01/10/10 03:26 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Can screws that are not in time be put in time?

How is it done?

My guess is by progressively cutting metal from the bottom of the screw shank.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can put turn screw in drill chuck and remove small amounts with file till screw will index

Sidelock
Sidelock

Labowner is right but if the screws were filed and polished to the action or trigger plate they will be lower. You can use a very small punch that has been ground to a point. Very carefully take the punch and around the surface of where the screw will come into contact with the plate or whatever strike that surface. I reciently did this to an Ithica single barrel trap gun and it worked. I don't think this is a "fix" that will last as the upset screw surface will no doube wear back to the original surface. You don't need to strike the punch very hard and watch out for damageing the screw hole. Striking to hard can distort the screw hole.

Just my two cents.

Regards, Gordon

Our Dogs make our lives better
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great tip, Gordon.
Thanks. Mike

NOT ALWAYS WHILE THEY ARE PUPPYS.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike

How true when they are puppies. But you would not have all those memories if a few years. It takes years sometimes doesn't it.

Regards, Gordon

Sidelock
Sidelock

Before you worry about retiming the screws, you need to fix whatever has put them out of time. It is most unlikely that the bottom of the screw head or the screw's seat wore out. It is much more likely that something "moved." If, however, the "move" is permanent, then you will need to weld up the bottom of the screw head and recut or do the same for the seat. Or, you can make a new screw. You can't change timing of the screw by filing (shortening) the screw's threaded shank. The index between the threads and the screw slot doesn't depend on the length of the screw shank; no relationship at all. Indexing the slot to the threads would be a very tough machining problem if it were not for the use of "tall" screw heads that are cut off and reslotted after the screws final tightened position is clear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Katie and Jessie
Mike

How true when they are puppies. But you would not have all those memories if a few years. It takes years sometimes doesn't it.

Regards, Gordon

You are absolutely right. Puppies can be trying at times, but I sure love "Higgins" today. Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocketman

I agree with you. Sometimes screws get streched and twisted by on over zelious person that really wanted to tighten the screw insted of stating it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Opps, that should have been seating it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In the past, I've used jewelers files and in careful steps removed a small portion of the screw thread until the thread is timed, i.e., the screw will move incrementally with the removal of the thread. The drawback is that you loose some contact surface by removing a portion of the thread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.