May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (PALUNC, 1 invisible), 533 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,429
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#176475 01/27/10 09:16 PM
Birdawg Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Maybe this was discussed in the Montana thread but I just got a call from the Idaho F&G doing a survey asking if I would support a ban on lead shot in WMA's.
As a pre curser to my answer I was told that many WMA had water on them and a duck or goose swallowing even one shot would die of lead poisoning.

BD
Sidelock
Sidelock

this is a seriously flawed survey if the editorialized prior to getting your answer. Any researcher knows that this type of stuff will seriously warp the survey results.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Waterfowl that ingest 1 or 2 shot more often live than die, and waterfowl tend to pick up only a small number of pellets at any one time: 65 percent take one shot, 15 percent two shot, 7 percent three shot, 3 percent four shot, 2 percent five shot, 1 percent six shot, and 7 percent seven or more shot (Bellrose 1959:260). A compilation of reports on the incidence of shot ingestion by mallards during the 1970s and early 1980s provided findings similar to those of Bellrose. Of 1,211 mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) gizzards containing shot pellets, 63.0 percent contained one pellet, and 13.6 percent contained 2 pellets (Table 2)."

I copied the above from an article published on a USGS site, Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center.

A link to the report.

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/birds/pbpoison/ingested.htm

Based on the article, the possiblity exists that waterfowl can die from 1 pellet ingested, but the chance is greater that it will live.

Based on your last paragraph, it sounds as though the ID F&G survey taker was emphatic in his statement that a duck or goose will die if just one pellet is ingested.

I'm waiting with for the ID F&G call!

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

How many bobwhite quail hunters do you imagine have swallowed a few pellets of shot over their lifetime? Has there ever been a documented case of any of us dying from it?
I doubt it.

> Jim Legg <

Birdawg Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chukarman
this is a seriously flawed survey if the editorialized prior to getting your answer. Any researcher knows that this type of stuff will seriously warp the survey results.

The Idaho F&G is notorious for stacking the deck when they want something done.
Or when they don't want to do anything like "manage" what was once a great bird population in Eastern Idaho but that is another story.

BD
Sidelock
Sidelock

The government agencies that have some power in the environment are magnets for extreme environmentalists employment. They won't be satisfied until we are back to throwing stones at the birds.

EPA regulations cost our economy over one trillion a year; mostly in increased costs of products the producer passes on to you and me and is the biggest reason millions of decent paying jobs have left the country.

Last edited by Patriot USA; 01/28/10 12:57 PM.

Don't sacrifice the future on the altar of today
Sidelock
Sidelock

Most everything the ID Dept of F&G does anymore is driven by money, not sound biological science!

I don't see the money trail by banning lead on WMA's, but it must be there somewhere.

I will have to defend the ID F&G, by saying that I don't believe they have been infiltrated by the envirowhackos, as yet!

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jim Legg
How many bobwhite quail hunters do you imagine have swallowed a few pellets of shot over their lifetime? Has there ever been a documented case of any of us dying from it?
I doubt it.

?????
I think the question is in regards to a lead shot ban on WMA's. Do you believe that lead shot ingestion has no effect on waterfowl ?

Birdawg Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The real question is, does upland bird hunting on WMA's in Idaho have a significant impact of waterfowl in Idaho WMA's? Is there data to warrant a total ban of lead shot any where on All WMA's in Idaho?

The other question is, what type of objective survey uses the language i described before asking an opinion?

BD
Sidelock
Sidelock

Does the "W" in WMA stand for waterfowl or wildlife ?
If it stands for waterfowl then non-toxic should be the standard rule . If it stands for wildlife then it should depend on the amount of waterfowl that use the area .
Ask yourself this - Do waterfowl only pick up shot that is used for waterfowl hunting ? I don't think they can tell the difference .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.