March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (fuhrmann, earlyriser), 694 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just want to report a very good experience with Old Tree Gun Blanks (www.oldtreegunblanks.com) of Utah. I have a Mauser 98 project that I wanted to find a nice piece of English Walnut for and I found this supplier with a good selection of blanks for what I consider to be a reasonable cost. Shipping was fast and direct and if anything the blanks that I received were even better than what I expected. Gordon (the owner operator) was quick to respond to my questions and was very helpful. I don't normally post about things like this but it was such a positive experience that I wanted to share with the folks that frequent this board. Thanks for listening! Jeff

Sidelock
Sidelock

Glad you had a good experience. Ol' Gordy used to post things on the trapshooters web site that created more than a bit of controversy. Eventually, there were no more posts from him. He is seriously into his wood.

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Boxlock
Boxlock

I second your sentiments Jeff, I had a very similar dealing with Old Tree. Good stuff

Sidelock
Sidelock

If yo haven't clicked on to the link, do so. The pictures of the blank he sells are absolutely incredible. It is enough to make you drool out of the corners of your mouth like Pavlov's dog. Mother Nature at her finest.

Colin L. Kendall
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lots of nice looking wood, but I was a little surprised when I went to the "How to Choose English Walnut Blanks- Saw Cuts" page. They claim to shoot for flat sawn or "3/4 sawn" blanks and seem to be avoiding quarter sawing like the plague. It seems to me that a lot of highly regarded stockmakers see things differently.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Always intrigued by this - some of the stocks on here look superb in terms of wood quality and don't seem outrageously expensive.

Is it then a question of finding a good quality stocker who could craft your wood - are there any other costs on top of this? Not sure how much a stocker charges, but I think here in the UK it can be anywhere upward of £2k+, and am sure there is a point where it simply is not cost effective to fit an entirely new stock (i.e. on a boxlock or gun worth < $1,500).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is the wood dry? I am on dialup and stayed on the site forever and never saw anything about moisture content. Thanks,Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bobby, If you click on their "About Us" page, you will see they claim to air dry only, and cut wood in winter or spring when the sap is below ground in order to shorten drying times. So they at least seem sensitive to that little detail. Still, I'd rather buy blanks at least a few years before I plan to use them, and let them season. I think this means there will be some walnut blanks at my estate sale, but I have told my kids they're not firewood.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.