Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Best gun" was never exactly defined. It is a catchy phrase that sounds really good in advertising. However, the Brit gun trade did not come to a definition. It was/is generally understood that craftsmen worked to a price and most had enough production capacity to accept orders for less than best work/design/materials to fill their books. That is to say, most craft shops were quite happy and willing to supply whatever quality grade product the customer was willing/able to pay for.

Craft made guns are most clearly understood if you look at three characteristics: Brand Value level (BV), Original Quality grade (OQ), and Current Condition level (CC). BV represents a price premium assigned by the current day market and is not an absolute indicator of quality. OQ is THE indicator of quality; note that it is independent of maker's marque. OQ can often be identified from old maker's catalogues or advertising. CC is entirely dependent on the care and use the individual gun had during its life to date.

"London best" is most usefully understood as a certain style (SLE, stocked to the fences, no thru lumps, high % engraving coverage, high quality (but not necessarily highly colored or figured) wood); and assumed best workmanship. "Best work" should be understood as a gun made to a very high standard and priced accordingly. A "best work" gun can come with any maker's name on it. Many very fine craftsmen worked as out-workers (not a factory employee). Gun shops were typically run by master gunmakers. The Master's job included knowing who did high quality work, what was a fair charge for it, and who was available. Few shops had all aspects of the gunmaking process covered with in-workers at all times; gun orders cycled up and down and workers came and went.

So, the trick here is to learn to identify a best work gun based on examination, not on brand name.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As good a time & place to ask; if a gun was valued at 100 lbs in 1883, what would it cost today to produce a gun of equal quality? Taking into account all aspects eg. labour & material costs etc. A ball park $ value will suffice. Thank you in advance for any imput. --- John Can.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The exchange rate was about 5:1 so the gun would have cost about $500. $1 per day was a decent pay for a laborer back then, so that gun would have cost the average working Joe nearly 2 years pay.

Last edited by ohiosam; 02/15/10 10:29 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some time back, someone posted the following definition - "Handmade is not perfect - Best is just closer".

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LeFusil
And who might you be..the new Lowell Glenthorne?

Where's the old Lord of Glenthorne ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

How long would that be for the average hOmeless jOe???...he has some nice gear...
Where is Lowell G??
Also if a gun was 100 lb in 1883..a gun of similar quality today would still be way too bloody heavy smile
Franc

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

LeFusil,
I take it by asking just who might I be, the new Lowell Glenthorne, that was not meant to be complimentary.

Best guns are best for reasons, many of which have been already posted here on this thread. All the rest, are not. No need to attempt to insult because you may not like that.

And, no, not all need to have been made in London, though most were.

Every company or maker out there produced an offering which may have been their best, yet, not be a Best Gun.

Seems silly to try to make a silk purse from a sow's ear, and also to think a gun which isn't can be one, by calling it one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I owned Darnes I'd be unhappy too....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dustin is out of Darnes right now. I don't believe he has any regrets about them, and, if the right one came along, I'm pretty sure he'd be game, but, he is a lefty from birth, not from Momma dropping him on his head, like you, jOe, and a lefty Darne is pretty rare. I think I'll leave him mine when I pass.
Per usual, your facts are askew, jOe.
Another thing comes to mind as I'm sitting here thinking about you, jOe-a sleever, any sleever, isn't a best. It may have been, once, but, it 'ain't now.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

See there's another Darne unhapppy guy....

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.