April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (David Williamson, Lloyd3, NCTarheel), 1,045 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,127
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all,
I was looking for a black walnut (NOT western black walnut which it seems some people are calling claro) blank for a field grade gun, and wanted a straight grained blank similar to the original. I have purchased from Watt's Walnut before and found their blanks to be very good, but they had no wood that wasn't pretty figured. I found one place advertised somewhere that said it was all kiln-dried, but nothing else really...
Does anyone know of a source for good quality black walnut stock blanks?
Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll bet Pete Hiatt can help you. Check the advertisers on this board.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why would you go to the expense of making or having a stock made and use plain wood? I know some folks think field grade guns should not have nice wood. I like to look at figure in wood regardless of the engraving on the gun. But regardless of original wood, it is so expensive and/or time consuming to have a stock made, I don't understand doing it with "apple crate" wood.

RCC

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The difference between restoring and customizing? Wood appropriate to the gun is a detail often missed.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No apple crates for me, I enjoy Eastern black walnut very much even in the plainer grades and I think it's very possible to find relatively unfigured wood that is plenty handsome enough to warrant my time, especially if you like a bit more subtle character...plus, the dense feathered wood at the butt of a longer stock makes it that much harder to balance a light gun the way I want. Unfortunately I'm having a hard time finding any for sale.

I had not considered Pete Hiatt, I thought being in Oregon he would not do much with Eastern wood. I'll drop him a line, thanks. If anyone else knows of any other good sources I'm all ears.

Sidelock
Sidelock

David,i have bought some off ebay several years ago. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would contact the mass production suppliers like Calico Wood owned by Reagent Chemical or ShowMe gunstocks. Also, keep an eye to Ebay. Some comes up now and again.

Sidelock
Sidelock

David,
Is 8 quarter (2" thick) sufficient? If so how much do you want? I have a friend in the wood business in Jamestown, NY with maybe 10,000 board feet. I believe $50 for a piece long enough for any stock and forend is about what he would charge.
Bob Jurewicz

Sidelock
Sidelock

Look on Ebay. Several seller sell Eastern Black walnut for very reasonable money. I have bought a dozen plus blanks from there. Most is not kiln dried, but some is so be careful. I do not like kiln dried for stock work. Mine was green and I seasoned it in the wood rack. What ever you get you should test the moisture content to be sure. Better yet buy multiple blanks and let them season for later use.

One seller had a pallet of maybe a hundred plus, two piece, plain Black Walnut blanks he was trying to sell. All air dried for years, decades and ready to go. Worth sending an Email to him and see if he would sell you ten or twenty for a buy it now price. I have bought several items that way when the entire lot was too big to deal with and I wanted a fraction of the total. This was the item.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250575837979

This item has ended but I am sure that they would be happy to sell you some if that is what you are looking for.

http://stores.ebay.com/Wingo-Wood-and-Lumber-Company

This seller sells mostly fresh cut wood if you have the time to let it dry. I have bought several from him and the wood was better than the pictures showed. I by crotch Black Walnut from this seller, but he does have straight grain wood also.

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Take a look at this. I'm sure these are old and probably have very little figure:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gunstock-Blanks-Waln...=item53dfa9a118

foxes rule
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.