Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
WesF Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I'm doing some reseach on my family's gun collection. This is a 12 guage Webley and Scott. I'm unsure of the model. I'd like to find out the model number, approximately when it was made and value. The barrels are mirror clean and the action is tight. I think the stock has the original finish on it, but it's not in the best shape. The wood is in good condition, but it seems the finish is starting to crackle or get a hazy appearance to it. Would it detract from the value of the gun to have it refinished? Thanks for any information you can provide.

~Wes

WesF Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Boxlock
Boxlock

If mine looked like that I wouldn't touch it cosmetically.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gorgeous Scott, looks very much like a 1923 Webley & Scott Proprietary Grade 1 Hammerless. I used to own one just like it, and I regret I ever sold it. It would not hurt the value of the gun to have the finish and the checkering re-cut if you have it done by an absolute professional, matter o' fact, lets call it a "refresh" not a refinish, it'll ruffle less feathers. My favorite features on these Proprietary Grade 1's is the deep oak leaf engraving on the fences, followed closely by the sculpted top lever (it oozes class), and the carved "knuckles" on the forend. Very nice gun, hard to give it a value, I sold mine in the neighborhood of $5000 less than a year ago if I remember right, I believe my gun had just a bit more "condition" to it though. Anyways, enjoy the Scott in good health.

Cheers,
Dustin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow...I didnt even notice the first time I looked at your pictures...but the rib on your Scott is unlike any I've ever seen on a Scott gun! My Scott had a typical smooth concaved game rib. I wonder if your rib was a option, have to bust out the old catalog now and see what I can find. Curious, very curious.

Dustin

WesF Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for the fast replies guys. Here's two better pictures of the vent rib. Might help you identify it a little better.

Sidelock
Sidelock

With that rib, I'd guess it's a Model 400 (also called the Proprietary) Double Barrel Trap. Dates from 1924-25 per the Scott book. Although the SN range gets a little confusing in that period, it couldn't be any later than 1925 or the chamber length would have been included with the proofmarks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice and interesting gun.If it were mine I would leave it as is except lose the groovy, non-original, white line pad and put on something more appropriate.

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.