May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (KDGJ, Mike Harrell, CJ Dawe, Der Ami, SKB), 275 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,561
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

What Brent just said!

WJL Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Both 12L14 free machining steel and 1144 Stressproof have inadequate hoop strength for gun barrels and will occasionally fail with even blackpowder loads.

Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was standing to the immediate right of this gun but had just left to the other end of the line for a minute. Could have very well have been wearing the right cheek of that action in my back or head. The piece was found 20" down and behind the line, right through my body. Harold got some minor bloody fingers. I tkink I heard that it was an original barrel.
Best, Roger Winn

Sidelock
Sidelock

Roger, it sounds like it was exciting, though I doubt it much ruffled Harold's feathers.

Was it particularly loud and were the preceding shots anything especially different in sound or placement? And for sure, did he score a 25 with the final shot? Curiosity has the best of me - as usual...

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting comments on 12L14, I know it’s a very popular steel for ML barrels, and has been used by some reputable barrel makers.
My barrel supplier would often supply me with 12L14 barrel stock for the smaller cals; 25-20 and 32-20.

WJL and or Brent, if either of you can supply me with the”hoop Strength” data or failure modem for 12L…It would be much appreciated.

Mike Hunter
Michael@HunterRestorations.com

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is no such thing as 12L14 "barrel stock" if you call the manufacturer. They do not recommend it for that - or so a buddy found out when he called.

Can't tell you the hoop strength numbers. Just know that it is not recommended by the guys that make it and that it will fail. This is pretty widely known now, though muzzleloader barrel makers sometimes continue to ignore this.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

The whole barrel steel thing was extensively discussed in print 20+ years ago when a barrel blew up during an ASSRA match. I will try and find you the print citations this evening. This topic was also covered on the old Shooters Talk board, if anyone has that archived. What I remember is, as Brent has noted, that the manufacturer specifically disapproved of the use of the material in this application. It will not stand the shock loading. I also remember that some barrel makers left the business and most others started using decent steel (which is harder to work). I personally view as suspect any single shot cartridge barrel from the 1960's-80's unless I know where it came from and what it is. It was unfortunately common for muzzleloading barrel makers to also make barrels for cartridge rifles and many of them used material barely better than screw stock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I’ve only seen about a dozen BP cartridge guns that had a catastrophic failure, so not many.

A good friend of mine collects them, so I try and buy them up every time I run across one. All except one was due to overcharging; the one exception was barrel obstruction.

In every case the barrel was an original factory produced barrel. I have not seen an aftermarket barrel made out of 12L14 with a catastrophic failure. So with all of these barrels made out of 12L failing, I would be interested in seeing pics of one, Do they split…turn into shrapnel etc.

Thanks

Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I always mark the barrel maker as well as my own name on the hidden underside of all the barrels I install, even if I hafta mark it 'unknown rebarrel by....' instead of 'Badger by...."

I don't have any hoop strength numbers either but have been hearing urban legend since the '60s that 12L14 is unsuitable, as is Stressproof. It's my understanding that the lead added for better machinability is also responsible for the unsuitability but I'm no metallurgist.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

J. D. …I’ve heard similar stories about 12L14, but again have not seen a catastrophic failure of one. As I stated earlier, I’ve made a few BP ctg barrels out of 12L, but haven’t in a few years mostly because the steel has a few issues that I really don’t like:

First… it rusts easier than any steel that I’ve come across, heck look at it sideways and it begins to rust, not a good property for BP barrels.

Second is that it machines like butter, so what does mean for barrel wear, will the lands wear quicker than on a BBL made out of 4140…my guess is yes.

12L14 is not a cheap steel, a 1 ¼ bored & rifled barrel blank costs me about the same whether it’s 4140 or 12L14.

Mike

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.