May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Wild Skies, jake van dyke), 994 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,509
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
LD1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a Westley Richards oak and leather case that is nicked up and has some dark stains on the surface, even some paint. What is the best way to clean it up. Can it be lightly sanded and the surface then polished somehow?

Sidelock
Sidelock

LD1:
Here's what I do. First do NOT "sand" the case! It's old leather and you'd destroy it. Try to clean off the paint with a solvent: Paint thinner or lacquer thinner used sparingly and with much caution. If some spots remain, try a gentle scraping with a DULL knife. You can't do much about the stains -- but they add character in a way. With the paint off, scrub the exterior with saddle soap. Let dry 24 hrs. Then judge the hue of your leather and get Fiebing's leather dye at a shoe shop -- light or medium brown as you need. Apply this to the WHOLE case, moving quickly and with a modest amount of dye on a folded cloth -- NOT the dauber in the kit. Pay special attention to the chips. Wait 24 hrs. Next, rub in all the Pecard leather prep (in a tub) the surface will absorb -- follow their directions. Polish with a soft cloth and you'll love the result.

Best, Kensal

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kensal,
I went to the Picards website and could not find any product containing the word "prep". Could you be more specific?
Phil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Phil:
Apologies. That's just my term. I'm referring to the wax-coloured Pecard dressing they sell in a tub. It comes plain and a colour element added. I have both, but mostly use the plain. Here's the link at Pecard:

http://www.pecard.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?S...Code=leathdress

Best, Kensal

Sidelock
Sidelock

I used Picards leather preservative for years on my boots and cases. When the last tub ran out, on the recommendation of the Russell boot folks I bought Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP (Leather Preservative) instead. Both do wonders for leather and are good products.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another good leather restoration product available through Tandy Leather named Aussie Leather Conditioner and mfgr'd by Fiebing Co - www.fiebing.com. This product contains beeswax and has the consistancy of vasoline out of the jar.

Rub the product on the leather and let soak in/dry over night then rub off with a soft cloth. I'm now restoring an old Leg-O-Mutton case for a customer and currently have three applications of this product on the LOM case. You'll never bring the leather back 100% to new; however, this product does a very nice job with leather restoration.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Before you re dye the leather, you must de-glaze it. This will remove any glaze and wax from the leather surface applied when it was made. If you do not do this, the leather will take the dye unevenly and will end up blotchy. Saddle soap will not remove most glazes and waxes. Tandy sells a good de-glazing product.

The only constant in life is change.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had good results using the sort of leather cleaners sold in Auto shops for cleaning leather car seats. One brand that I use is called Decasol but I don't know if it is available in the States. I just paint it on with a brush, leave for ten minutes then wipe off, allow to dry and then use a saddle cream polish called Stubenhamenol which is made in Germany. Leaves a great finish without destroying the patina. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, Kensal.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.