May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Tim Wolf), 508 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#184109 03/27/10 03:34 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Need some help. Have chance to buy a 20 ga sxs by Antonio Zoli Here are the markings, what I would like to know is what the chokes are, and what length the chambers are age would help if possible. both barrels have stamped on the top antonio zoli-gardone v.t.-(brescia)- made in italy, on the rib is ARIETE, the underside of one barrel is special nickel chrome steel nitro proved, there are two stars stamped on this barrel, there is also an G THE underside of the other barrel says canne inter chromate it has three stars stamped there is an S . On the barrel flat for the first barrel is XIX AR( 5digit serial #) then there is a symbol that looks like the point of a double edged knife with a straight line in the middle there a couple of proof marks under the XIX but they are faint look like a crest with crossed rifles?? The other barrel flat has PSF and under that is FINITO there is the Antonio Zoli bow and arrow stamp and then Cal.20 The water table has the same marks as the barrels along with what look like proof marks. It has double triggers.A non automatic safety, Silvered receiver and splinter forearm, pistol grip stock with plastic grip cap and plastic butt cap with bow emblem on it, the engraving appears to be machined. Did a long search but could not find any mention of a 20 ga. ARIETE so no other info either. The STARS are the chokes but how do they translate to MOD, I/C etc. CAN ANYONE HELP??? Thank you

Sidelock
Sidelock

My guess is that one star * is full choke ** imp. mod and *** modified **** Imp. cyl and ***** cyl or skeet. Miking the bores and choke area is the only way to know for sure. Italian guns tend to be bored tight!

nid-28
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 1958 Antonio Zoli SxS in 16ga. I have looked far and wide but never heard of another one like it. My buddy does have access to one(same era)in 12ga. though, with simple, and not so good, scratching of a dog.

Here are some pic's of mine - http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae325/Dolapsch/

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks D.A.L. Mine is much the same but your engraving is way nicer, Any idea what the XV stands for on yours?? I don't have all the stuff you have on the barrel s. I only have the stuff about special steel etc.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Bill I was hoping the chokes may be MOD and I/C so I could shoot steel. Did't know they had imp mod. until just a few years ago.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's the date code I believe. Denotes 1958. I'll be back with the typical Italian date stamp codes, and some other info. Dinner first.

Search for my posts here, and follow the responces.

Don

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry, mine is from 1959. I've searched, and I guess they don't archive posts from a couple years ago. The gents here gave me a wealth of info regarding my gun. I've shot five grouse with it so far. I'm making 16ga. non-tox bismuth loads for the upcoming duck season.

I e-mailed Zoli Italy and they told me Antonio made the gun, but they stated 'it was not a standard model'.

Don.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm thinking that's what I have ( non-standard).All the ARIETE models are 410 unless the are M1,M2 etc which are 12Ga. Pretty sure this one is European says Cal 20 not 20 ga and it has what looks like factory sling swivels I really want to shoot ducks over decoys with it and would like to use steel. Any ideas if the i/m would allow that. If two stars means i/m??

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steel shot through a 1960's SXS? Hmmmm...I'm very new to this game, but I would say definitely not.

Others will surely chime in now.

Don.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.