April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,059 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

"Tom Gresham's similar S&W rah-rah isn't so annoying to me, he's a journalist-at-large not the Editor of the NRA magazine. "
[/quote]

It was to me. TG is all over the web forums pushing this line.
JL

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
The noise on the street is that S&W just bought out Thompson Center too.

Probably a smart move on S&W's part. TC appears to own nearly every hunting show on the TV. It seems every TVPH is shooting some rendition of an Encore accompanied by the ubiquitous "hunting sticks" in every episode. Guys in my area are still absorbed by the switch barrel aspects of the Contenders and Encores.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Craftsmen coming to America with Old World skills probably contributed significantly to those great doubles in the first place. And we're to blame for the demise of doubles, and good doubles at reasonable prices for men and women in the wage economy. We let them become relics of the past with our penchant for firepower and the new. Now they're made for connoisseurs at gourmand prices. The cognoscenti, of course, pick up sound and great quality American and European guns at bargain prices. Only an awakening to the glory and efficacy of the double can restore home-made again. I've converted only two.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As to S&W owning TC, It's on their(S&W)'s website. No secret. How long before they start coming from somewhere offshore?

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yup, not many Hoffmans or Griffins being carried on the hunting shows. Tony Makris is the only notable exception. He wouldn't be caught dead carrying a TC. I'm looking forward to an Under Wild Skies episode with Tony carrying one of his Holland eightbore rifles. I am told it is in the hopper.

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Let's face it S&W is out to make a profit be it from revolvers or Turk-made shotguns. The NRA has to keep its advertisers happy, notwithstanding Mark O'Keefes inannities and slick pitches from selected shills. S&W under its old ownership took some justified heat from the NRA. That ownership has now changed and the company is now able to offer new products. It's root little hog or die. I hope S&W sells boat loads of their new guns, especially to new gun owners. Besides, this ground has been plowed many times before re. pre-1964 Winchesters, Jap-made Brownings, etc. etc.. Yes, it's a doggone shame they don't make US-made hardware store Parkers, LC Smiths etc., but you know those companies don't exist anymore and they don't exist for a reason. Let's hope S&W is here for a long time.

To paraphrase Capt Renault, "I'm shocked, shocked to discover that a gun writer is in the pocket of a major gun company."

As to Smythe making guns in Turkey, good for them. Maybe it will allow a new generation of shooters to afford and grow fond of SxSs. Which in turn might engender additional interest in sxs production, including made in USA.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gerald A. Mele
PS I finally got my RBL and believe me there is no Turkey Gun I have seen to date can compare with it. I have been shooting it too much to take time to post pictures, but it is beautifull. I'll do it soon.

Jerry

How about this one? Grade 4 Circassian Walnut, hand-fitted and hand checkered, the steel is hand engraved (it took six days, I'm told), Skeletonized and engraved butt-plate. $2,800, and received within 2 weeks of ordering. It's a custom-gun, but obviously it was in stock at the time of order/puchase...

Your RBL might - if you ordered exhibition - have nicer wood. But the machine engraving and laser checkering just isn't as nice as by hand. Yes, I have examined an RBL in person. In fact, that examination, along with CSMC's poor customer relations, was primarily responsible for cancelling my own RBL order and buying this gun.

Like the 28 Ga? Check it out:

28 Ga. Society
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sexy gun BPGuy. I'd buy it even if it was made in Hell itself.

-Shoot Straight, IM
Sidelock
Sidelock

DeHaan?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.