May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Roundsworth), 697 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,527
Posts545,852
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#16404 12/22/06 11:46 PM
Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

or seven of the other? Now think about this........... you go out to buy a pair of tennis shoes for you or your kid and you have the choice of paying nearly $100.00 for a pair made in the USA. Or you can go to Walmart and buy a nice pair made in China for $25.00. After all of the talk on here recently about making guns overseas to cut the production costs, which idea are you more fond of? A gun manufacturer trying to make a nice gun so he can pass along a nice gun at a lower price? Or the making of a little nicer gun and paying more for it because it was made in the USA? Of course they are out to make a buck in the meantime, but is this getting to be more like the TV, auto and everything else market? Any thoughts, comments or ideas on the subject? It is a toucy one you know.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't find it a touchy subject at all. It's black and white.

I would, and do, gladly pay more for non-Chinese products. I've heard all the arguments in support of buying Chinese goods and inevitably by the end of each I am sure I am listening to a fool.

Chinese goods are for Americans who are only children and who have no children of their own. Chinese goods are for people who are in it for themselves, and when they die they don't care what they leave behind.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I also choose to buy American. Yes you do pay more but I know that an American or at least an illegal American gets some of the money.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Chinese goods are for Americans who are only children and who have no children of their own. Chinese goods are for people who are in it for themselves, and when they die they don't care what they leave behind.

I've been told I resemble that remark. But in reality, those that chose not to have children do very much for country and world resource management, more than any other single thing I can come up with. Eventually, overpopulation effects will overshadow any efforts to retain many of the things we now call freedoms, like hunting and probably even gun ownership. Human population growth is pretty much unchecked which I think is the single biggest issue the world faces this side of global nuclear war. Now there's something contriversial for stuffing in a pipe to smolder for a while.

But I prefer to buy US made products if they deliver what I am looking for. But if someone tries to buy only US made products today, he'll drive himself nuts trying to figure out what's what. For example, how much of a Boeing 747 or the new 787 do you suppose is made in the US? How about a GM, Chrysler, or Ford vehicle? I can tell you a huge portion of Boeing airplanes are made overseas and I know that GM has plants and vendors worldwide. I assume the other US auto makers are the same.

So don't discount someone's patriatism if they aren't dyed in the wool US product only buyers. Besides, where'd that oil come from that made the gas for your "US made" car?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes I prefer US goods, but alot of items you can't find made in the US. And when you are on a fixed income, price does matter.

I'll bet everyone of you have things in your house that were made in China or Bangladesh or (insert the third world country of your chosing here).

I defy you to find a battery, like the ones in your vehicles made in the US. They may have US lables on them and look like a US product, but they are all made overseas.

Mark
Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So what about guns? Do you think that US gun manufacturers are right in trying to give you a less expensive product by having it made overseas? Or would you rather pay $1000.00 more for one that is made in the US? Does it make you mad that gunmakers are trying to get a piece of the market and making a gun that more people can afford to buy by having it made overseas? Or what about the person who can't afford the extra money and have to buy a cheaper gun? Should they stick with buying a used US gun if that is all that they can afford? It is a touchy situation isn't it?

Last edited by Jimmy W; 12/23/06 03:40 AM.
Boxlock
Boxlock

I think the manufacturers are attempting to make money. They have a perception that a certain product will sell. Right now SxS guns are making a comeback. Since there are more buyers in the lower end they try to provide a product at that price point. This is not a new idea. Ithaca, Browning, Winchester and others turned to the Japanese in the '70's. to serve that market. I will say that the Japanese guns of that era are a cut above the current lower end offerings by the Turks and Italians. I can't comment on the high end Turkish guns, I've not seen one. I do think if I were to spend $5000. + it had better be NICE! The one exception that comes to mind is CSM. They have made very nice, very expensive guns and stayed in business. Their recent foray into more affordable shotguns seems to be working out as well. Still not a "cheap" gun at $3000. Would I buy one. Yes, as soon as it is made in 16 or 12 Ga. it's not a price issue.
Rick

Americans are naturally a proud people and we sometimes forget that China and Turkey were both civilized countries long before America was even settled by our ancestors. Can the Turks make fine guns? Can Omar in Ankara match Bubba's skills in Lincoln, Mo? Maybe. I say give them a chance and let's see what they can do.

Granted most of us would rather live here than anywhere else in the world but we need to remember that we don't make the best widget in every product line that comes out of every industry in the world. For example my wife has been taking a drug that was developed in Belgium back in the 70's. For her condition it was the best drug on the market at the time. Only now are her Doctors saying there's something better. And who knows? It might be a medicine from Asia!

Furthermore check your retirement fund and your Mutual Fund holdings. Chances are that many of you already own investments on foreign soil. Believe it or not - every country has their version of Wall Street and your broker or pension fund manager works hard to get his Christmas bonus.

Regardless of our prejudices and our preferences we live in an economy that is worldwide. We are succeeding in spreading Capitalism.

Me? I never miss. This new breed of quail can fly with their hearts shot out!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Market economy plain and simple

Price and competition are always the ways to better products.

If a US manufacture sees a market for a particular product, and can make money producing it, then we will make it!

You can see what competition has done with the American car industry. Look at what we drive now compared to 20 years ago.
Dont you feel that the competion from the Japanese quality forced the US to make a better product??

Remember folks,, WE set the demand!!

Gooser

Sidelock
Sidelock

Canada per capita is one of the world's biggest exporters and currently running best economy of the G8 and, like the U.S., has built its communities and institutions on exports of our products overseas. Now, the shoes are on other feet.

I buy Canadian and American products on the main street of our closest town and haven't set foot in those big-box juggernauts on the highway. Sometimes I have no other choice but foreign goods at half our prices.

Jimmy asked about ourselves, not the general public's view. From what I've read here the last five years, most of us are doing well and have discretionary income for the shooting sports. Others are obliged to buy at lowest price, bless them.

To come right down to it, I think all this talk about RBLs and other exotica is extravagance when there are so many good old American and European guns of equal or better quality at a fraction of their prices under our noses.

No, Jimmy, buy American. I do, and I feel better doing it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.