April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (earlyriser, 67galaxie, Hugh Lomas, Pwog, 3 invisible), 1,072 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,120
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Got a chance to buy a real nice hammer gun with real nice wood and new 28" barrels.
Heres the deal, it is a underlever, it's sleeved and it has a stock extension. It is a well known maker and in great re-stored shape. My concern is the underlever, I know there is nothing wrong with it but I was always partial to a top or sidelever.
I have held the gun and it opens and closes really slick! And did I mention it is a top tier maker and under 5K.
So opinions please.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Without even seeing the gun, it must be special if its been sleeved and also has a stock extension and the price is still 5K. What kind of underlever does the gun have??
Personally, I like guns with underlevers. They are more practical than people give them credit for. I especially like the lines of a hammergun with tall hammers and a jones underlever..it all matches up well and just looks "right". There are lots of nice hammerguns out there for 5K. I would not pay 5K for a sleeved and stock extensioned hammergun no matter who's name was on it.

Dustin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike: I agree with Dustin. Based on your limited description, the gun should be about half that price. The owner is no doubt just trying to get out of the gun what he put into it, but sleeving and stock work just isn't a paying proposition, even on a Purdey, Holland, etc. TT

"The very acme of duck shooting is a big 10, taking ducks in pass shooting only." - Charles Askins
Sidelock
Sidelock

I disagree that this is a non-starter. Obviously a lot depends on missing information, but if it was a properly sleeved Purdey or Holland or Boss, with a properly done extension, and in very nice shape, it could easily top 5k. Wm. Larkin Moore has a sleeved underlever Boss for 18K plus. Our good friend and Board member Toby Barclay sells his restored and sleeved guns for close to or more than the 5k quoted.

It all depends on the gun, the condition, etc. and we don't have the necessary information here to pass judgement.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you are willing to pay 5k+ for a hammergun that has been sleeved and has also had an extension done, I'm glad its your money and not mine. I can care less what the name is on the gun, that matters not. What I care about is the overrall quality of the piece. That Boss will sit at WLM for along time as will most of the sleeved guns a Vintage Doubles and other shops. The only reason I could fathom someone paying that kind of money for a gun in the described condition would be if that person had to have that particular gun in the safe to complete a collection, usually these types of people/collectors are looking for a very particular action, patent, style etc and MUST have the gun. Others who hunt and shoot their guns would be looking elsewhere to spend their hard earned 5K. A Purdey is a Purdey and sleeved Purdey is just a "SLEEVED purdey".

Dustin

Sidelock
Sidelock

PALUNC;
With all due respect to LeFusil, I take exception with the position that "[a] sleeved Purdey is just a SLEEVED Purdey."

Perhaps he is affluent enough to afford any Purdey he wants, but sleeved or not, a Purdey is a work of art. I know first hand. And I'd rather have a properly sleeved Purdey than any other "straight gun" from any other London maker. Boss included.

I hope the gun you are considering is of worthy stature. If you like it, acquire and enjoy it. That is the true reward in any of this. Not snobbery.

Best, Kensal

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kensal...re-read my post please. Read it carefully. It contains no snobbery, as a matter o' fact I plainly state that is matters not what name the gun carries, it matters only that the gun is a high quality piece in original condition (ie not sleeved or chopped off at the butt and then added back on to) to command a price of 5K.
Sounds to me as if you would buy a Purdey, a sleeved one at that rather than have a "straight" gun from a maker like Boss, Woodward, Grant just because it has the name Purdey on it. Well, I've seen, shot and owned enough guns to know that a Purdey is not the end all, do all, be all of double guns. When you get to this quality level, regardless of maker...its all apples to apples, they are ALL works of art. 5K for a hammergun sans ejectors, original barrels and original stock is nuts, regardless of maker, especially in this market.
With that said... PALUNC, if you think the gun is worth that and you just have to have it, by all means buy it, use it and enjoy it.

Dustin

Last edited by LeFusil; 05/16/10 11:18 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The shooting magazines that I saw in the UK last week were advertising a bbl sleeving service for 450 UK Pounds.
Martin

Last edited by bavarianbrit; 05/17/10 11:26 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,

You haven't said what you'll use the hammer gun for. Nor do I know how much hammer gunning you have done. I'd advise starting with function: if you are going to hunt with it, can you cock both hammers in one sweep of your triggerhand thumb when the birds flush? That's really the only sensible way to hunt safely with other people (sorry, walking along with a shotgun open and the hammers cocked is never going to be right for me).

Purdey is a brilliant maker and sleeving etc. should be no problem at that price. If it fits, buy it -- if it can function nimbly and safely in the field.

Regards, Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Got a chance to buy a real nice hammer gun with real nice wood and new 28" barrels.

What, EXACTLY, is it? If you could post pics, that would help you get useful info rather than pure speculation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.