May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (GETTEMANS), 938 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,542
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Grenadier
The Marines were less trusting and had all of theirs re-heat treated.

I never knew that the Marines had a single rifle re-heat treated, can you you quote a source for that information?

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry, my mistake. Not re-heated. Instead, the Marines had the Hatcher holes drilled into the receivers of their guns "to cut the incidence of burst receivers".

Quote:
General Julian Hatcher, then a young ordnance officer suggested drilling a hole in the left side of the receiver as a gas relief port to cut the incidence of burst receivers. While this was generally ignored by the Army, the Marine Corps took the suggestion to heart and many of the Marine Corps low numbered '03s of the era will be found with the so called "Hatcher Hole" in the left side of the receiver. After W.W.I, the Marines solved the "low number gun problem" by rebarreling them when sent back for refit, drilling the Hatcher Hole and reissuing them with instructions that they were not to be used for firing rifle grenades. The high numbered guns are extremely strong and never experienced any problems.

~
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I still have a few low-number actions that I would not object to trying some different experiments on.

I'm not sure what else to do that would tell us anything new.

I've tried the failed case but might try it in another way. What if I annealed the head of a case until it was dead soft so it would flow, might the pressure get a bit higher before it ruptured? After the one action squirted out two 8mm bullets I was at a loss.

When I blew up a Krag and helped on a trapdoor I learned a lot about how strong and what these old rifles will take.

I'm open to suggestions!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I say just shoot and enjoy it with standard ammo.
No experiments.

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Don Moody
I say just shoot and enjoy it with standard ammo. No experiments.

Don, I think you misunderstand what I want to do. I have no intention of playing around with any sporter. I have several loose low-number actions, one is a real dog and no loss if I wreck it.

I would hate to think that anyone thought I was up here experimenting with trying to blowup say Townsend Whelen's Wundhammer crazy

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Michael Petrov
I still have a few low-number actions that I would not object to trying some different experiments on.
I'm open to suggestions!

Michael,

I can't help jumping into this fray.
You and I have discussed the LN debate before and you have done due diligence on research in trying to duplicate a failure. I too am one who believes the odds are riskier on urban freeways/streets than shooting one.

However, if you did succeed I am afraid you would just lend credence to Bayesian probability.

Art

Sidelock
Sidelock

Baysian? What is the current prior?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I interpret Hatcher's data as the prior and if Michael succeeded in getting one to fail he could possibly introduce new data. But then......what do I know I'm not a probalist? confused

I'm just not in the sky is falling camp.

Last edited by texraid; 06/03/10 06:00 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Who's on first base?

Sidelock
Sidelock

What. laugh

Ole Cowboy
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.