Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hello all,

I have come across this board as I research my new purchase.

I've been wanting a 28 gauge and recently found a Cogswell & Harrison double with ejectors. It has double triggers and came in a locking leather breakdown case. Both the right and left side are marked COGSWELL & HARRISON LTD with a little scroll work.

On the strap on top of barrels, is marked COGSWELL & HARRISON LTD 165 PICCADILLY LONDON

On the bottom of the barrels, near lockup are the following marks:

NITRO PROOF 5/8
BP BV NP
A symbol that appears to be that of a crown
A symbol that appears to be a diamond, within which are 3 other markings- Can determine the figure at 6 o'clock = C; The figure at 3 o'clock = 8

Am unable to make out the marking at 9 o'clock

On the underside of the gun, on the triger guard is marked 18308

Based on websites with items for sale, appears gun is made after 1881 and likely before 1906, but that's all I've been able to determine.

Unfortunately, appears the rear stock was cut and section added (maybe to lengthen???) so it's not all original.

I'm going to send a note to Cogswell information and try to obtain original certificate of ownership information. Any guesses as to how to determine model? Bluebook doesn't list 28 gauge in many of the models, so that isn't too useful.

Thanks for the help.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello and Welcome to the board

I am afraid we will need pictures to help you.

post some of the proof marks as well.

H&H

NOT A FAN OF PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE
Sidelock
Sidelock

The proof marks are Birmingham post 1904. BP BV NP should all have a crown over them. They are the post 1904 Birmingham proof marks. BP is for definitve proof, BV is view proof and NP is nitro proof.

The 29 is the bore diameter 8 inches in from the chambers (I think), the diamond with 28 and C means that the barrels are chambered for 28 gauge shells.

The NITRO PROOF 5/8 means that the gun was proofed for a 5/8 oz service charge. I'm not sure if this is the 2 1/2 inch load or not.

The serial number is a bit odd. Are you sure it is 18308 and not 28308? According to Brown's London Gunmakers 18308 does not exist since the serial numbers jumped from 14512 in 1887 to 20088 in 1888. One explanation is that there might be a different set of numbers for odd gauges but this is unlikely.

Regards - Ian Forrester
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I don't have pictures posted on a web page, they are just on my thumb drive. Guess I'll need to join some online site and upload first.

Hopefully I can get posted by tomorrow night.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks Ian - now I understand all those markings!

yes, the serial number definitely begins with a 1, not a 2.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Ok, looks like I was able to load them to Snapfish and have the link below - hopefully this works

Cogswell & Harrison

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can only see the one photo (probably my fault). I'm sure it will be a nice gun and made in the period when C & H were turning out some of their better stuff. The gun will have 2 1/2" chambers as the 2 3/4" cartridge did not exsist in England at that time. Standard load is 9/16ths. ounce. Please, please, please don't try stuffing those 1 ounce things through it otherwise there is no point in owning a 28 bore. 1 ounce is for 16 bores and light 12's. A good find as small bore guns from this period are hard to come across. C & H will usually tell you the model for free but charge something like £45 for a full certificate detailing everything they have about the gun. Lagopus.....

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

lagopus - thanks for the heads up on the approx cost on the certificate - assumed would be more than a few bucks.

Funny about the 2 1/2" chambers - the guy I bought it from "threw in" a box of 28 gauge but they are 2 3/4" 9 shot. Guess going to the range today and trying it out might require a trip to the gun store to see if any 2 1/2" shells in stock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Birmingham Proof marks on a "London" gun can mean two things,
1, it was made by another maker and sold out of Cogswell's shop as their own ,this was common practice and contiued up to the 70s,to my certain knowlage.
2,it might have been rebarreled ,are there London and Birmingham marks on the action flats?
As to the chamber lengths almost certainly been 2&1/2 inch roll turnover ,which would mean very little chamber cone,so pleaase dont use longer cases.

Sidelock
Sidelock

rstshells.com for low pressure 2 1/2" shells.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.