May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 697 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,604
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with you entirely about all three venues. The others have some challenging targets but for my specific hunting preferences, grouse and woodcock, Hausman's does it for me.

An elevated trap, like at station 1 skeet, to fling a clay out through the branches of a spruce grove would be a lot of fun I think.

Last edited by DAM16SXS; 06/11/10 01:49 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The good:

I had a great time and there were more vendors and more guns for sale than years past. The three man squad shooting BP at the flurry was something to see and hear. Weather did not cooperate and I left Sunday morning due to the weather forecast, as did many others. I agree the team shoot results do not reflect full participation.

Potential areas for improvement:

Target cost at Hausmann's is on the high side for SC at this shoot. IMO Sporting Clays targets should be challenging in their presentation but birds should always be within the maximum range of a 12ga IC choke. I think Ernie put too many targets beyond that range on Fri and Sat as scores in the big bore classes were on average lower than small bore. The woman who was squadding shooters and compiling scores told me some squads asked to not have their scores posted. To me that suggests too many target presentations were unrealistic to some degree for hunting simulation. It's not good business IMO to have too many shooters coming off the course and feeling that disappointed, the risk is they don't come back. Tommorrow will be one week after the shoot and there has been no e-mailing or posting of winning scores and raffle winners.

Overall a good shoot but there is some room for improvement and enough to mention it.

DGM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I admit I put a goose egg on my scorecard on one of the pond stations, which was humbling. It was doubly humbling when a couple guys I was shooting with broke em with a 28 gauge and 410. But it sure sure felt good the next time when I broke a couple after getting some pointers from fellow shooters. For me, that made it fun.

I enjoyed shooting the Flurry as well. I really like the variety of shooting games offered, with the Flurry, Mad Jack and Bo Whoop long bird challenge.

I see the Fox Collectors have some photos and reports on the shoot on their website, and they posted this on the winners of the Bo Whoop long bird contest:

Bo-Whoop Long Range Competition winners
by Fox-Events » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:09 pm

The AHFCA is pleased to announce the winners of our third annual Bo-Whoop Long Range Competition held in conjunction with the Great Northeast SxS held at Hidden Hollow SC in PA. All told we had 96 shooters in the B-W event. Most of our shooters participated on Friday and Saturday under warm and sunny conditions. Sunday was mostly rainy along with heavy wind gusts, which limited participation.

The 2010 Long Range Competition winner is Don Nickerson of NY who shot extremely well, taking 8 of 10 really tough targets. Don fielded a 12 gauge 32" LC Smith Specialty Grade Trap gun. Don received the First Place score purse.

Our 2010 Bo-Whoop Trophy winner and second place score winner is George Griscom of NJ who took 6 of 10 targets using a 12 gauge 28" Fox Sterlingworth field gun. George also received the Runner-Up score purse.

Third through eight place scores were achieved by Mike Campbell (5 targets), and by Roger Bain, Jim Kline, Craig Larter, Paul Plunkett and J D Shank (4 targets each). The Loonie Lewis purse winners were decided by public draw and Messrs. Bain, Larter and Plunkett were picked. Craig and Paul donated their winnings to the AHFCA.

The AHFCA offers sincere congratulations to our winners, and thank you's are extended to all who competed in the event and who helped out at the shooting butt. Pictures will be shared in coming days once we all get back home and caught up.

http://www.foxcollectors.com/My%20Forum/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=2

"When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk." - Tuco

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: nhcrowshooter
The good:

I had a great time and there were more vendors and more guns for sale than years past. The three man squad shooting BP at the flurry was something to see and hear.

nhcrowshooter,

You talking about these bunch of nuts?

We had a great time with the black powder, although the barrels were screaming hot!
Next year, I am going to try my driven bird guns with a loader. That should be fun....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: CFWs
Originally Posted By: nhcrowshooter
The good:

I had a great time and there were more vendors and more guns for sale than years past. The three man squad shooting BP at the flurry was something to see and hear.

nhcrowshooter,

You talking about these bunch of nuts?

We had a great time with the black powder, although the barrels were screaming hot!
Next year, I am going to try my driven bird guns with a loader. That should be fun....

Yes. When I watched and listened to those guns booming and belching I wished I had brought my video camera. That was neat.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bring it next year. We will be doing it again!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Myabe there should be a participation award for fair weather shooters.

"birds should always be within the maximum range of a 12ga IC choke."

Dang....that would screw me. I don't own a 12ga with a choke that open.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with some of the above posts that it was unfortunate that the main event was held on Sunday only. A combination of bad morning weather and the distance involved sent many who were there on Saturday away.
For these vintage guns, with most of us shooting lite loads the targets were out there a bit. The five stand was almost impossible.
Despite that, we expect that the Lefever group will be back, perhaps on an every other year basis. We are a small group and can only afford to put together one event like this a year and some of our westen members have requested a venue closer to home.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

A good one Mr Mike on fair weather shooters award. I ask ,do the men that like the quicky grouse shots at the Northeaster hunt birds only in fair weather ?

Only shoot lite loads in vintage guns ? Good advise but sounds like excuse for not so good shooting. Theres an old saying by experienced shooter's , if your on the brid it will break with anything. Next year maybe the propreitor will do all cup cake feel good shots .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mike campbell
Myabe there should be a participation award for fair weather shooters.

"birds should always be within the maximum range of a 12ga IC choke."

Dang....that would screw me. I don't own a 12ga with a choke that open.

I do believe that an overly difficult course serves only to discourage shooters who like to compete but are not necessarily competitive. Soft or hard targets the winners are usually the same names. Overally difficult targets only tend to make the average Joe feel bad. Happy customers are usually repeat customers.

Mike, with a 6 hour drive home we needed to complete the main program before 1PM. The weather prediction was for 1+ inches of rain. After checking out of where we were staying getting soaking wet, then looking for a place to change and driving home damp was not appealing.

The hard rain screwed me as I didn't want to take a "nice" classic double out in a soaking rain, I might have gone out with another gun but I don't own a Fox smile

Last edited by nhcrowshooter; 06/12/10 04:20 PM.
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.