April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 835 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,840
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

sorry about off topic but fewer members read other sections of this forum. i'm getting older now and feel strange calling to own something formerly used by us military.
there is this colt 'new service model' 1917 in cal. 45 acp in very good condition. what marks should i watch for and besides bulk is there any reason i should not consider one. it has not escaped me that one can be had for about 1/3 price of original 1911 auto in equivalent condition and i do not wish to spend that kind of money on a handgun. i looked at 1911 ithaca but there is too much for me to digest in terms of trying to make sure all parts are correct and original to the gun. i found it nitemarish for something going for $1500. all feedback is welcome.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Unless yer a collector....I'd buy the newer one for half the money

I bet you could even find a pretty nice I'talian SxS for $1500.00....you don't live in Kalifornia do you ?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

look to my knowledge colt no longer manufactures double-action revolvers and new s&w s lack that ole' world charm. the price is $850us.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If it'll make you feel like Elliot Ness go for it....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jager, they are well built and useing moon clips keeps loaded rounds and brass in a convienient package. Cock the hammer slowly to make sure the bolt locks the cylinderbefore or no later than right as the sear locks the hammer. the barrel cylinder gap should be no more than .008 to .010. And the cylinder should not wiggle wiyh the trigger pulled all the way back. Have fun. Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a S&W .45ACP which was a basic 1917 model, though this one is one of the 1937/38 guns made under Brazillian contract & bearing their crest on one side, S&W logo on the other. It is a fun gun to shoot. I have full moon, half moon & 1/3 moon clips for it. Also the S&W can be fired without clips, but empties then require punching out unless they fall. Most Colt's had the cylinders bored straight through so do require the clips for firing as well as extraction.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Colt had been making their NEW SERVICE model revolver for the Brits and Canadians in .455 for several years when the US entered WW1 in April 1917. Immediate massive US Army requirement for all military firearms, and Colt helped by getting about 150,000 made by the end of January(?) 1919, chambered for the .45ACP cartridge. S&W produced a similar number in .45ACP on their large frame Hand Ejector 2nd Model, which they also had been selling to the Brits and Canadians in .455.
The Colt New Service in .45ACP had a "war-time" finish and was cranked out as fast as the factory could. There should be military marks and serial number on the bottom of the grip-frame and a lanyard ring. If you can still find them, you can chamber and safely use the .45 Auto Rim cartridge, specifically introduced in the early 1920s for this and the S&W wartime made revolvers.
This particular Colt model had a decent single action pull, but requires a strong handed man with extensive training to do any decent double action shooting. Watch your right thumb when shooting, as the cylinder release latch is quite angular in shape and will draw the blood of the careless on recoil. Substitute the rounded last version of this latch if you intend this piece mainly as a shooter. Rifling is quite shallow for the metal cased bullet, and I would suspect that lead bullet accuracy would be problematical.
It's a very standard revolver, and the usual 2nd-hand inspection techniques will apply.
Above all from the RAM in my hair-topped computer, so all comments are "IIRC".

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know if it's a collector gun but agree with observation that carryup, cylinder gap, and aligned chambers are desirable in any revolver.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Both the Colt and S&W versions of the 1917 revolver are collectors items. Just like anything else in this hobby stay away from refinished or beat up examples. As long as an example is mechanically sound they can be used and enjoyed and are fun to shoot with either 45ACP or 45 Colt rimmed ammunition.
One caution here: There are NOT a lot of spare parts available for either of these revolvers so avoid acquiring one that's missing anything.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes. I have owned S & W 1917s(U.S.Property stamped) and they are very nice to shoot and quite accurate.It is my presumption this is also true of the Colt. Make sure it is complete, original finish (all roll stamps should be crisp and clear, grips pencil numbered to the gun if possible). Although these have risen in price recently, at $850 it should be in very good condition. I would suggest a larger set of grips for shooting comfortably. I made a moon clip loader and will post a picture of it if anybody is interested. Powodzenia.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.