Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have one assembled from parts. It's a fun gun to shoot and I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another. As to the half/full moon clips, I ordered 500 .45 Auto Rim cases for mine about 15 years ago and did away with the bother. Use the .45 ACP dies and load data. It simplifies every thing and makes the gun that much more enjoyable.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hansli, I'd love to see your moon clip loader. I've about worn out a place on the kitchen table trying to mash those cartridges into the clips...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've owned both. The S&W was one that my Grandfather "borrowed" from The Army in WW I and was my first pistol.Harder to shoot than the Colt I own a Colt that had been fitted with a Shooting Master 7 1/2" barrel and it shoots as well as anything that I have ever owned.If you have small hands,go for the Smith .I have been handloading for it for a long time using data for the ACP and only with lead bullets.Reloading for the Auto Rim requires only the shell holder and your standard ACP dies.I've never tried to see how hot I can get it
Best Regards to all
Distel

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sure, George. I made mine from stuff I had around. It is set up to be clamped in a vise which keeps things at a nice working height. The base is a trap part and the press arm is some oak flooring with the return spring mounted as shown. Epoxy the washers around a 1/4 bolt tapped into the base, the pivot is a 1/4 20 bolt tapped in, the spring retainer is a slit pin pressure fitted. Voila c'est ca. Loads six in six seconds.
[img:center][/img] [img:center][/img] [img:center][/img] [img:center][/img] [img:center][/img] [img:center][/img] [img:center][/img]

Sidelock
Sidelock

The next time the US military has tactical problems with a new piece of equipment that ought to post it here and the problem would probably be solved in no time!
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you are interested in a shooter, I'd suggest the model 25-5 S & W in .45 long Colt. I quit screwing around with clips about five minutes after seeing one, and the big S & W in long Colt gets you some serious firepower, with better sights, hammer and trigger.
The military had a lot of things that were procured because they could get them, not because it was the best tool for the task at hand.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

The 25-5 is another excellent gun, cheaper than $850 when you can find them. If you don't already reload, this caliber will ensure you do. The 255 gr bullet will move a steel plate, a cartridge with thump fo sho. It is a fact that the 1917 was created from a production shortage of 1911s. Already had the Pez in 45, needed dispensers, ergo the 1917.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think we're kind of straying from the original question. "Is the 1917 worth owning"? This pistol was admitedly a stop gap measure to make up for the 1911 45 shortage yet is was an officially procured an issued US military pistol. There are a lot of superior revovers that have been introduced since then without question but,at least to me, there's a certain nostalgia and romance in owning and shooting something of this vintage and historical era.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Many '17 Colts were issued to the USPO and kept in post offices for many decades. I don't believe they were USPO marked, but don't trust my memory on that. Most of them survived in very good shape. '17s often shoot cast bullets very well, but they need to be cast of hard alloy. Some of the original factory .45 Auto Rim ctgs. made specifically for these revolvers had lead bullets.

Like all New Services, these guns last forever if not abused.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

thanks for the info. i will look at it again tuesday. most of what i have seen in publication pictures had shiny blue finish on somewhat rough surface but this one has sandblasted finish. all markings are sharp but i'm not sure if finishing was done at the colt factory or it's some kind of arsenal job?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.