March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ken Nelson, SKB, skeettx, LRF, Lawrence Kotchek, Karl Graebner), 875 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#193366 06/23/10 01:28 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hopefully, this is not too vague a question. If the cocking cams on an older Beretta O/U need to be replaced, is that an indication of heavy/excessive use? In other words, is that a canary in the coal mine for other problems related to heavy use?

Thanks in advance, Doverham

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You didn't say why they "need to be replaced". Do they(the hammers) not cock? If so, lack of cleaning and lubricating could do it. Cocking arms can sometimes be bent or peened to give more carry to the hammers. Does it still lock up tight?

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thats a very open ended question. The answer is maybe. To be honest ,with out a full strip down and examination its impossible to tell. To my knowlage Beretta did have a rerputation in the late 60s early 70s of having parts that were either to hard or to soft,but since then I've not come across the same problem. But like all older guns of this type ,if they aint cheap dont buy, is my motto.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am dealing with the seller remotely and therefore have not had a chance to inspect the gun in person. The pics I have seen show the gun to be in good condition, but that is obviously next to meaningless information. I will obviously buy the gun subject to an inspection but was trying to get a sense whether worn cocking cams were a known symptom for other problems.

I will ask the dealer how this issue was discovered and what they think the cause was. (The seller identified this problem and is fixing it, which is encouraging.)

Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

You do not say whether tis gun is an SO or a boxlock of the S series eg: s56e s55e s57e etc

There are problems with both

Is it missfiring or just not cocking the hammers?

If it SO it can be complicated and is an indication of significant wear

If it is s series it can be simpler

Hotrack

Life is too short to drink cheap wine
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It is a sidelock - late '50s S2

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ok We have now established that it is a sidelock, can you please indicate why you feel you need to replace cocking cams

Does it not cock the hammers when you open the gun or is it missfiring, ie a very light strike on the primer and very low noise when the hammer hits

I have experience with both of these problems on an SO4 that was not cocking the hammers and later not setting the primer off even though the hammer springs were good and the owner had replaced the hammer springs

Regards

Hotrack

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hotrack - I have not bought the gun yet - the dealer disclosed this to me during our negotiations. Apparently they decided that this work needed to be done on their own. I will quiz about what lead them to that conclusion and report back on their response. Thanks, Doverham

Sidelock
Sidelock

With the side lock,I had a repair problem with one and it took me several days to recognise the problem. I thought cocking,springs,etc.,but with this Beretta it was the little pins that lock the cocking rods.If not locked, the inertia of the rods impedes the strike of the hammer and the gun does not fire much of the time.I made new locking pins and problem solved.Perhaps this is your gun's to be problem.

Sidelock
Sidelock

William has identified one of the most often miss diagnosed problems with these guns, one I fixed for a friend after numerous gunsmiths had replaced firing pins, hammer springs, then made over length firing pins etc.

It could also be a loose forend which after tightening will bring the forend back enough to cock the hammers.

To answer your origional question, the answer is yes, it does take a lot of heavy use (in my friends gun 35years of Trap shooting at least once a week)

From there other ugly problems will rear thier head, like the inertia block not engaging the sear because it is worn on the pivot pin that the sear rotates on.

Heavy use will also see some deterioation of the wood behind the locks, usually with little bits flaking away and blocking up the mechanism, ulyimately the stock will let go and you could end up with the stock in two pieces.

Factor into your price a full rebuild of the action by a competent gunsmith skilled in this particular gun and possibly a restock

Hotrack

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.