May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Momslefever, Marks_21, earlyriser, 3 invisible), 276 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,553
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
ben-t
Unregistered
ben-t
Unregistered

I am going to buy checking tools to redress the checkering on my old Fox Sterlingwoth that only has lines remaining. From a previous post I learned that "flat" checkering would be the proper style for the sterlingworth and so I am thinking I want a 60 degree angle cutter to better leave a flat top on the diamonds? Because I am not attempting to bring this gun anywhere near original condition I will also not be cutting the checker to a new look, just a more defined look. I will use a single cutter to avoid overlaps should the 1:16 lines not be the same as those of any 1:16 cutter I may buy. So do I have the right idea with the 60 degree cutter for the flat affect on this fox? Thanks, Kurt

jmc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kurt,

I don't have the answer but I do hope you post back with your results and what you learn along the way.. I for one, would appreciate it as I have an A grade with old flat-top checkering that has worn flat and I've been thinking about doing the same..

Best,
jmc

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are lines and the memory of lines. If the wood is real smooth and the "checkering" looks like an inked line (happens on round pistol grips) it isn't going to keep the tool in the furrow. Go over every line to get the dirt out; don't go deep on one line at a time. I think doing it almost like layout lines for a two-bottomed tool is best. Do a couple lines in the middle. Do a couple other direction on the diamond. The fresh tracks are something for the mind to follow. Raking light and magnifying visors need help. Don't ride out at intersections; don't go uphill into crossing grain or emerging grain. Don't rock the tool, baby. Go slow. Curved rifflers (a triangular "float" type file) are said to be good for chasing; I haven't tried that. I don't have any 90 degree, only 60. Fine tool with lots of "points" or serrations seems to work best for me. I haven't done much of this so there are those better prepared to advise.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

To recut worn checkering i use a Dem bart F1 fine single line cutter.You have to be careful,it may be better to practice on an old stock first. Use an old tootbrush to keep cutter cleaned out.Rabbit gave you some good info to follow. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use a 90 for sharp, 60 for flat, I like to call this semi-flat, and a fine tooth hobby hack saw (30 to 40 teeth for inch) for absolute flat checkering. to finish the absloute flat I just touch the checkering with a 60 to smooth up the lines. I usually use the fine tools from start to finish but that's just me - I'm in no hurry. --- John Can.

ben-t
Unregistered
ben-t
Unregistered

Thanks to all for the help. I know good advice when I've just read it! I will follow this advice and hopefully with it, it will keep me from mucking this up to badly? I will post the conclusion.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In my opinon take your time ,when something start's to go astray..... LAY IT DOWN!!! take a break and return with fresh eye's and mind ,,you wouldent beleive the checkering catastropy's thay could've been avoided by a little patience.And most of all ,good luck!

Sidelock
Sidelock

And get a pair of reading glasses stronger than what you normally wear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Also two part epoxy, walnut sawdust, and aspirin?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bbman3
To recut worn checkering i use a Dem bart F1 fine single line cutter.You have to be careful,it may be better to practice on an old stock first. Use an old tootbrush to keep cutter cleaned out.Rabbit gave you some good info to follow. Bobby

What Bobby said. Either will work; I prefer 90 deg for everything. Install your cutter to cut on the pull stroke; it gives you much more control of where you're going. On the forward stroke you make a light crease that your cutter will follow on the pull stroke. Also, when pull cutting you don't have to charge the border. Cut a line to within 1/4" of the border, lift the cutter, carefully place it AT the border and pull back into the pattern. Do that religiously and you'll avoid a lot of overuns.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.