May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (earlyriser, Jimmy W, Gunning Bird, Ian Forrester, Borderbill, 1 invisible), 412 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Bob Cash #194211 07/01/10 02:17 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have to say that the little bit of money you make on a transferee is not worth the trouble it takes sometimes.We only charge $20.00 .A bigger gun store in town charges $50.00 .I had a guy that sent a gun back three times.It was a pain in my but.Then you have the ATF watching over you like a hawk.They will call you in for a meeting if you have one item wrong with your paper work.It really makes it hard sometimes.One reason we want take from an individual is the person has to provide all there information.When it is shipped you cant make sure that the person shipping is really them.Taking from a dealer with a copy of there FFL makes it easy.

Rockdoc #194242 07/01/10 06:48 PM
rgh2 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you all. I could not believe that a non licensed person couldn't ship a gun to an FFL. You confirmed my belief.
Thanks again.

Richard Howard
Rockdoc #194249 07/01/10 07:49 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rockdoc
Let's see ATF stands for Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms. What I'd like to know is where does the government get off lumping firearms with alcohol and tobacco. I really see absolutely know connection and am insulted by it. Since when is a tool a human vice? What do firearms have to do with drinking and smoking?
Steve

It just happened that way: Before it was the ATF, it was called the ATU (alcohol tax unit). The alcohol tax collectors were not IRS type auditors, they were Elliot Ness type agents who chased moonshiners. Eventually the ATU also became resposbible for collecting tabacco taxes. As you are aware, back then smoking was not considered a vice in the same sense it is today.

Once upon a time, the government was much smaller and new federal agencies were not created out of the blue. Moonshine was fading as an issue. So, in 1968 it seemed to make sense to task existing ATU agents with inforcing the new Gun Contol Act and the name was changed to the ATF. There is no connection between the A, T, and F other than an existing federal agency being assigned additional tasks over the years.

In 1968 smoking was common. There were no smoke free buildings. Airline seats had ashtrays. Cigs were lightly taxed. Drinking was also looked upon differently. The drinking age was 18 in many states, drunk driving laws were lax (no MADD, SADD, etc.). New terms like social drinking and binge drinking had not been popularized by do-gooder types. People sometimes drank at work and behind the wheel. Drinking and smoking were behaviors, not social issues. Neither had the stigma they have today when the ATF came about.

The way polite society views smoking and drinking has shifted enormously since the inception of the ATF. Strange that today one may think firearms undeserving of being lumpped with alcohol and tobacco, because in 1968 an average person might have thought alcohol and tobacco undeserving of being lumpped with guns. Post-modern thinking at work.

RyanF #194255 07/01/10 09:18 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

So in the end it's still his license , and he has his "rules" . And if you don't want to follow his rules your only choice is to find another license holder whose rules you agree with .

oldman1949 #194257 07/01/10 09:41 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: oldman1949
So in the end it's still his license , and he has his "rules" . And if you don't want to follow his rules your only choice is to find another license holder whose rules you agree with .

True, but every dealer I ever was involved with that required shipment from an FFL claimed it was the law and the ATF required it. He can make his own rules but be man enough to be honest about it.

ohiosam #194271 07/02/10 07:57 AM
tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lots of folks don't know the rules. I've had to show the USPS what their own rules say about shipping long guns. Once had an employee tell me you can't ship any guns. Then the postmaster on site came out and said you can ship long guns, but I had to be a dealer (which I'm not). I told him I was shipping the gun to the dealer and here's a copy of the dealer's FFL. He grumbled and moaned like I was breaking the law, but finally relented. Amazing with as many guns as get shipped via USPS, that there own employee's wouldn't know what the rules are.

foxes rule
James M #194354 07/02/10 09:06 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: italiansxs
"Why do some FFLs refuse to take a shipment from an non FFL? Is it illegal for a non FFL to ship a gun to an FFL?
What does the law say about this and where can I find it written?"

My understanding is that some FFL holders are leery of doing this because if the firearm ever proves to previously have been stolen or used in crime the burden of explaining its acquisition would then fall on them. If a firearm is shipped to them from another FFL holder it takes them off the hook.
I don't believe you'll find this in any published information from the BATFE.
N.B. When the gun club I belong to takes any firearms in trade the serial nos. are reported to the police agencies to ensure that they are not stolen. I believe the pawn shops adhere to this procedure as well.

Jim

Their ignorance of the ATF laws is as monumental as their gullibility about their dreamed-up rationale. What does a sending FFL holder do before sending, that proves anything about the seller? Nothing, other than take some of his money. What happens to an FFL on either end if the gun turns out to have been stolen? I'm betting nothing. The whole FFL to FFL scam is just a way to squeeze more money out of the customers, nothing more complicated than that. They're wrong and don't deserve your business.

> Jim Legg <

Jim Legg #194356 07/02/10 09:10 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
They're wrong and don't deserve your business.

What he said.

Jim Legg #194375 07/02/10 10:42 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jim Legg
Originally Posted By: italiansxs
"Why do some FFLs refuse to take a shipment from an non FFL? Is it illegal for a non FFL to ship a gun to an FFL?
What does the law say about this and where can I find it written?"

My understanding is that some FFL holders are leery of doing this because if the firearm ever proves to previously have been stolen or used in crime the burden of explaining its acquisition would then fall on them. If a firearm is shipped to them from another FFL holder it takes them off the hook.
I don't believe you'll find this in any published information from the BATFE.
N.B. When the gun club I belong to takes any firearms in trade the serial nos. are reported to the police agencies to ensure that they are not stolen. I believe the pawn shops adhere to this procedure as well.

Jim

Their ignorance of the ATF laws is as monumental as their gullibility about their dreamed-up rationale. What does a sending FFL holder do before sending, that proves anything about the seller? Nothing, other than take some of his money. What happens to an FFL on either end if the gun turns out to have been stolen? I'm betting nothing. The whole FFL to FFL scam is just a way to squeeze more money out of the customers, nothing more complicated than that. They're wrong and don't deserve your business.

Quote:
"Their ignorance of the ATF laws is as monumental as their gullibility about their dreamed-up rationale. What does a sending FFL holder do before sending, that proves anything about the seller? Nothing, other than take some of his money. What happens to an FFL on either end if the gun turns out to have been stolen? I'm betting nothing. The whole FFL to FFL scam is just a way to squeeze more money out of the customers, nothing more complicated than that. They're wrong and don't deserve your business"

Jim:
That's certainly another reason that I had left out but since you brought it up here goes. I was negotiating with an out-of-state seller on a couple of C&R guns a few years ago. He would NOT believe it was perfectly legal to ship these to me which it is since I have a C&R license. He talked to a FFL holder who wanted $100 per gun to ship them to me and convinced the owner that this was the only way it could be done legally. Naturally the deal didn't go thru particularly after I had "words" with that FFL dealer. Unfortunately; There are some real crooks and rip off artists in this hobby posing as "dealers".
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 07/02/10 11:49 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
James M #194454 07/03/10 06:57 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would never consider doing anything illegal or asking an FFL holder to do anything that would jeopardize his license. However, any making up of "their own rules" is just plain lying and an attempt to steal undeserved money from their customers. This scummy behavior should not be tolerated. A common fee for receiving a firearm, here in Southern Utah is $25.(sometimes, no charge at all). Background check costs $7.50(not charged for CCW holders). I don't believe FFL fees in Kelifornia or other areas need to be several times that.($75-100). Robbery is illegal, just as surely as it is for an undocumented democrat, to sneak across the border.

> Jim Legg <

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.