May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ken Nelson), 732 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,643
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As a LR blackpowder shooter, I have always wanted to build a rifle on a late model 1881 Deeley and Edge action. As you know, these are difficult to find so I am hoping one of you could put me in contact with somebody that may be willing to part with theirs or maybe one of you might have one that was destined for a project but it never happened. I figured this group would be the best place to ask. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Bob

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob,

You may also want to post a WTB ad on the single shot collector's forums at http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

A good bunch of fellows over there, with all sorts of amazing stuff stashed away in the cupboards.

Best of luck with your search.

Peconga in Boise, Idaho

Last edited by Peconga; 07/08/10 02:49 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

This .303 belongs to a friend, we have shot it quite a bit. I did some restoration to the standing/folding sight, but it is not for sale. My favorite British single shot, much less complicated the Farqharson. (BTW: I shot the Hartman's zebra with a .30-40 single shot.)

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I were going to build a rifle from an English side lever action, my choice would be a Field....strong and simple.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Bob,

An original WR Deely and Edge action would probably cost an arm and two legs these days. In comparrison with American single shot rifles, very few of these British made actions were built.

Some years ago Rodney Storie produced a line of action kits made of castings in the US. Apparently these were good quality, but required a fair bit of machining to make them into a finished item. He listed a D&E 1883 action at US$ 300.00. No machine drawings were listed for this item.

It may be that some people have one stashed away, (waiting for that proverbial rainy day), that they may want to dispose of. (Rodney Storie no longer makes any rifle action castings as of a couple of years ago).

It may be worth advertising in several 'Internet Gun Forums' to see if anyone has one of these kits for sale.

The only alternative is to copy and enlarge drawings from De Haas's Single Shot Rifles and Actions book or Wal Winfers book on Westley Richards Single Shot Rifle Actions, and perhaps copies of 'Patent' drawings. Then built the action starting with bars of steel and machining away all the bits that don't look like a part of a D&E action. lol.

I have never been able to obtain machine drawings for any of the British made SS actions from any British Gun Maker, and I started trying to obtain those over half a century ago.

(There's a niche market for someone who wants to make some spare cash by producing by 'back engineering' drawings of many of the old actions).

Best wishes,

Harry

Last edited by Harry Eales; 07/09/10 03:16 AM.

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Guys

A question to those who have handled the Field action - how strong is the extraction compared with other side lever actions ? with a modern ss action ?

Thanks

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes
Yes
IMHO

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another side lever would be the fields paten. Martini I would post a picture but don't know how. Whitey

PS if anyone would like a picture just email me at whanson@plainstel.com

Last edited by whitey; 07/09/10 12:43 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tentman
Hello Guys

A question to those who have handled the Field action - how strong is the extraction compared with other side lever actions ? with a modern ss action ?

Thanks

The Field of which I posted a picture is a 500/450. I have another in 450/400 3". Both extract shells with no effort at all.
This is a Field side lever Martini I sold to Ross Seyfreid many years ago. It shares all the strengths and weakness of all Martinis.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am sure they must have made several varations as mine is very simlar. But some diffrence and was a 22LR target gun. with a full length rib etc. (that was ugly) smile. Whitey

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.